Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Guest CarolMills

Guest CarolMills

I am researching a soldier called William Hall, from Walthamstow, who died in WW1. I don't know his regiment, but having looked at the Waltham Forest Roll of Sacrifce, there is only one possibility. Minimal information is given, just 'killed in action' and his regiment, the Royal Munster Fusiliers. By looking at the CWGC and the National Archives site, I believe I've found his service number, and year of death (1916). The man I'm researching was 30 and married by 1914. Could he have served with the RMF, having spent all his life in Walthamstow?

Thanks

Carol

Carol

The simple answer to your question is - Yes.

Although many men enlisted in the regiments linked with their area of residence it was not uncommon for others either to enlist in other regiments or to be drafted to them without any choice.

The 2nd. Battalion Royal Munsters were stationed in England in the years leading up to the war at Tidworth 1909-13 and Aldershot 1913 - 14 prior to embarking for France.

Dave

Hello Carol,

Your man is in Ireland's Memorial Records:

Hall, William. Reg. no. 5823. Rank, Private, 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers. Killed in Action, France, August 24th, 1916. Born Walthamstow, Essex.

Many Englishmen served in the Irish Regiments and visa-versa.

Regards,

Liam.