Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serbian Cross medal

Joseph McMillan

Joe  .  You need to register first, right at the top of the page in the right.  Then sign in and then as Gardnerbill says go through the "purchase" system.  Lok out for the "accept terms and conditions" box that needs a tick.

The Salonika record isn't digitised which is why you need someone to copy it for you (you just found that!)

Max

Edited by MaxD
deletion

Hi again Gardenerbill & MaxD,

I have registered and checked out both reference numbers but as they are not digitised it looks like i will have to go through the purchase procedure so i think the best bet for me would be the Salonika campaign documents.I will try and get sorted in the next few days.

Thank you both for your continued assistance and support in this endeavour.

Kindest regards,

Joe.

Joe  . 

12 minutes ago, Joseph McMillan said:

checked out both reference numbers but as they are not digitised

The first link Gardnerbill provided was to https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353472 which is downloadable.

Max

I would just like to thank all of you who rallied to my appeal for information which might have helped me obtain information on my Uncle Alec`s Serbian Cross.

I have been overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness of you all in trying to assist me by providing links etc to possible sources.

I have managed to download one of the war diaries for the 1st. battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders from the National Archives at Kew but unfortunately i cannot download the one which covers the Salonika campaign which i am sure is the arena where the medal was earned.

But fortunately a researcher is willing to have a look for me when things get back to normal after this virus, so hopefully he will be able to ascertain why my uncle was awarded the medal and perhaps why he was also awarded the Military Medal.

We live in hope.

Again ,thank you all for your interest and help in this quest,

Kindest regards,

Joe McMillan,

South Australia.