Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches C1 & C3 HOOGE Ypres

Gaz Edwards

Ladies and Gents

I wonder if anyone can help please.  I am tracing 12th Bn Manchester Regiment, locations.  In Early Dec 1915, the are in Trenches C1 and C3, at HOOGE.

Has anyone got a 1915 map, showing the above trench locations please.

I appreciate any help

Gaz 

According to their War Diary for Dec 1915 1st Dec trenches in  I24(Maple Copse) until 5th to Ramparts Ypres. 9th to Busseboom 17th to Ouderdom,19th to Kruistraat & Canal Line,20th D Coy and 2 platoons of B to trenches RS1 remainder to Ramparts, 22nd to trenches in I24, 25th to rest camp Buseboom.

Gaz

I checked the WDs for 52 Infantry Brigade, 17 Div HQ General Staff (and the A&QMG) and 17 Div RE. No maps unfortunately but in the Div HQ WD there is 17 Div Operational Order 29 dated 14/12/1915 which gives co ordinates for the line held for the Right (Hooge) Sector from trenches B8 to C7. I have not looked at the WDs for the other Brigades of 17 Div.

Brian

Trench RS1 is in approx  I18d 3.o - I18d 1.3. C1 J13c-2&3 is I18d,b

Edited by EDWARD1

4 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

C1 J13c

Something like this, using Edward's map:

image.png.f82ceecaa139d555c17f23a4f77a570f.png

11 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

Inkedhooge_LI.jpg.5edc6575c1974bed6df266c43a29e018.jpg

Edward 1

Good find. Where did you find the map please.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

13 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Something like this, using Edward's map:

image.png.f82ceecaa139d555c17f23a4f77a570f.png

white starline thank you wooow excellent

23 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

Brian the map is from the NA British  Trench Map Atlas DVD

Thanks

Brian

EDIT: The WD of 6 Dorsets (50 IB) has a sketch showing trenches C 4 and C 5 north of the road (p 71). It is dated October 1915 and does show C 3 and C 3 R south of the road and confirms the position on the above map. The WD of 50 IB 13/12/1915 records that two Observation Posts had been started, one in the crater at Hooge and another at I 18 b 5 4 behind trench C 3. The Hooge Crater is shown on the current 1:20 000 IGN Poperinge - Ieper 28 (1-2). I think it was blown by the British in July 1915 but I do not know if it is the one referred to in the WD where the OP was constructed. There is a crater shown on the sketch map in the Dorsets WD just to the north of the road.

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

• 5 weeks later...

Somebody did tell me once but I've forgotten... What are the circles with the numbers on the map above please?

The numbered circles are positions of interest, such as trench junctions etc. They are marked by their location in the map square, in 10ths, so eg 53 is 5 along and 3 up, 91 is 9 along and 1 up, and so on. 

Peter

22 hours ago, mebu said:

Somebody did tell me once but I've forgotten... What are the circles with the numbers on the map above please?

The numbered circles are positions of interest, such as trench junctions etc. They are marked by their location in the map square, in 10ths, so eg 53 is 5 along and 3 up, 91 is 9 along and 1 up, and so on. 

Peter

Thanks...