Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this Queen's Own Cameron Highlander uniform?

Rewe-Netherexe

One more question,  cuffs and collar deep royal blue or black? In the photo frogsmile posted they appear black , lighting can do that so just double checking. I did find other images where they are more blue looking, just wanted to again confirm.

Is the tartan in the last image true and correct? Again, many thanks! 

british-army-scarlet-doublet-tunic_360_a84d8fbcd25b08d7f41ce4b671a44514.jpg

ww1-scots-pipers-doublet-jacket-39_360_febcf0f6efd97c93cc146b75dcd2afed.jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

3 hours ago, MERYN said:

One more question,  cuffs and collar deep royal blue or black? In the photo frogsmile posted they appear black , lighting can do that so just double checking. I did find other images where they are more blue looking, just wanted to again confirm.

Yes, the facings were a very dark blue, as for all regiments with a specified Royal association.  The portrayal of the tartan kilt in the image you posted is indeed accurate.

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 hours ago, MERYN said:

Any way to look up his medals? I think I've found some campaign medal documents in digital archives but they are difficult to read. Maybe im not looking in the right place?

Here's the medal ribbon colours for your project.

His pre-Great War medals shown in his photo are Queen's Sudan, QSA, KSA and Khedive's Sudan (n.b. bars may well be different to the attached photo below).  The Khedive's Sudan was awarded at the same time as the Queen's Sudan but being a "Foreign Award" moved to (his) left when he earned the QSA and KSA during the SA War serving in 1 CAMERONS. 

He  served "Home" during the Great War so there will be no WW1 medallic recognition for that period of service.

QS,QSA,KSA, KS.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

His pre-Great War medals shown in his photo are Queen's Sudan, QSA, KSA and Khedive's Sudan (n.b. bars may well be different to the attached photo below).  The Khedive's Sudan was awarded at the same time as the Queen's Sudan but being a "Foreign Award" moved to (his) left when he earned the QSA and KSA during the SA War serving in 1 CAMERONS. 

He  served "Home" during the Great War so there will be no WW1 medallic recognition for that period of service.

QS,QSA,KSA, KS.jpg

This is perfect thank you 

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, the facings were a very dark blue, as for all regiments with a specified Royal association.  The portrayal of the tartan kilt in the image you posted is indeed accurate.

Thank you so much

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

QS,QSA,KSA, KS.jpg

Perfect thank you 

18 hours ago, MERYN said:

british-army-scarlet-doublet-tunic_360_a84d8fbcd25b08d7f41ce4b671a44514.jpg

ww1-scots-pipers-doublet-jacket-39_360_febcf0f6efd97c93cc146b75dcd2afed.jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

In this artist's depiction of the Cameron Highlander, the straps under the shoes that secure the spats are inaccurately shown as white.  They should be black as seen in the photo below.

20201123_111848.jpg.fb3fb1486bbc427ab1811d29bf594615.jpg

Another question, does anyone know the occasion for the portrait? October 1903 period?? Could it be to commemorate an unveiling of a war memorial, or celebration of some kind? I was hoping to pin it down to find other photos like it.  I read that our Private lived in the Peabody estates or public housing. It was uncommon to have studio portraits made back then, I'm guessing it was to celebrate a military achievement , perhaps commissioned by the military as a gift?  Thanks again ! 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think that the lady in the photo is dressed as for a wedding.

My guess as to the occasion is that it might be to do with the presentation of some of his medals, or simply to record their issue to him in a meaningful way by being photographed in his review order uniform.