Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5-digit Norfolk Territorials

rob carman

Good morning,

Pte William Henry Clements 31324, 1/5 Norfolks; from Southport, transferred from RASC to 1/5 Norfolks, KIA 2/11/1917.

Were there any other 5-digit Norfolks, possibly from Southport, that may have transferred over with Clements?  How do I find out? 

Rob.

20 minutes ago, rob carman said:

Pte William Henry Clements 31324, 1/5 Norfolks; from Southport, transferred from RASC to 1/5 Norfolks, KIA 2/11/1917.

Were there any other 5-digit Norfolks, possibly from Southport, that may have transferred over with Clements?  How do I find out? 

I suspect William Clements was weeded out from the ASC in the spring of 1917 - there is a note on his medical report that he was found category "A" at Bath on the 3rd April 1917 - and he was then transferred to the 47th Training Reserve Battalion, (new S\N 34043). It's from there that he was posted to the 1/5th Norfolks.

So while another Southport man could have been weeded out from the ASC at roughly the same time and gone either to 47 TRB or another TRB Battalion that would go on to supply a draft to the Norfolk Regiment, it would seem rather a co-incidence. I don't think this is a wholesale transfer in which pals who signed up at the same time moved over.

I've tentatively got 31300 to 31999 down as older men \ less fit categories who transferred in from other units, but so far I'm working from MiC's rather than service records so can't follow it in detail as I can see with William. Thus 31369 Bertie George Tallboys and 31850 George Randle came from the ASC, (and probably others) and 31445 Sidney Harry Flavell and 31850 George Henry Randle from the R.A.M.C.

I'm assuming there is something very specific behind your request - do you want to share it with the group as it might throw up the best way to make further enquiries :).

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you Peter.  It was a long shot.  I was looking for a possible link between an early  photo of four Norfolk Territorials (said to be taken in Southport) and Clements (from Southport and who is said to have "volunteered" for the transfer to the Norfolks to see action).  I was thinking that any close-numbered, 5-digit man from Southport may have transferred at the same time.  The hint of volunteering seemed to up the chances.  It is probably a non-starter in any event because of  there is one Imperial Service Badge in the photo, making it earlier than spring 1917.  

Clement looks to have been transferred after GazaII.  Does your spreadsheet show a pulse of 5-digit replacements after April 1917?