Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain J Whiting Footballer QPR , Sheffield United,Blackpool, Hull City

owen4256

The Northumbrian Divisional Cyclists had a particularly strong football side, counting several professional players form Sunderland and leading clubs in the Wearside League. They remained unbeaten until March 1916 when they were finally beaten 3-1 by a side including Fred Webster of Spurs and Arthur Brown late Sheffield United and Sunderland. Two of the goals were scored by a Lieutenant J Whiting. Whiting appears to have played for Gainsborough Trinity and Lincoln City before the war. During the war he played for Sheffield United, Blackpool, QPR and Hull City before being posted to France c September 1917.  He is described as serving with "a Yorkshire regiment" in 1916. I'd very much like to put a name and regiment to Captain J Whiting. I have tried the London Gazette, MICs and assorted football sites without getting his full name.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Clive

Clive

The only Yorkshire Regiment J Whiting is here:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1101910

there are 3 or 4 others with a J initial but they are RFC, RFA, RHA and Chaplain.

Edited by sotonmate

In my humble opinion I think he was Capt. G. Whiting, not J. 

The Sportsman of 2 February 1917 announced his arrival at Queens Park Rangers and names him as "Capt. J. R. Whiting" who had moved south in the course of his duties.

There was no officer named J. R. Whiting in the Army in the Great War. But there was a G. R. Whiting, Yorkshire Regt. (T.F.), George Reid Whiting gazetted 2nd Lt. 18 March 1915 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29103/supplement/2714 

When his marriage was reported in the Hull Daily Mail on 4 January 1916 it was noted that he was "a well known all round athlete". There is a picture of him and his bride.

The Hull Daily Mail of 20 April 1916 reported his inclusion in the Hull City side playing a team of the Durham Light Infantry and naming him as "Capt. George Whiting". He had been promoted to the rank of temp. Capt. on 4 February 1916 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29513/supplement/3034

His medal index card gives his date of entry into a theatre of war, France, as 6 June 1917 (The card is in the name of George Reed Whiting). (H. J. Whiting in post #2 landed in France on 19 November 1915).

A bit "off the wall" maybe but it seems to "hang together well" and there may be other references to him to support this. 

Whiting, Capt. J. R., The Sportsman, 3.2.1917.JPG

Whiting, Capt. G., Hull Daily Mail, 20.4.1916.JPG

This, from the Hull Daily Mail of 20 January 1919 provides confirmation.

Whiting, Capt. G. R., Hull Daily Mail 20.1.1919.JPG

By George,  I think you have it! 

Harry. I'm sure you have the right man. I only have one reference for "J Whiting" the rest all give his rank only. The promotion and posting to France both fit and the combination of clubs must be unique. The Cyclists had two future England internationals: Jimmy Seed and Tommy Wilson. Both were FA Cup winners after the war so the standard of these military matches must have been impressive..

Very grateful you help on this

All the best 

Clive

Tony

Icing on the cake to have a photograph as well. Intriguing that he switched to rugby after playing soccer for so long. I might have look in Wisden to see if he managed a full sweep!

Many thanks

Clive

There was a Whiting who played a few matches for Yorkshire between 1914 and 1920 disappointingly it's not your man!!