Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quiet Zones on the Western Front

Hi, Sorry I am shamelessly bouncing in here for some information whilst offering very little in return but I am looking for a book I read twenty years ago and cannot for the life of me remember it’s name. 

It it was about the quiet zones on the western front and detailed what the troops on both sides did to make life easier for themselves and the ‘enemy’. It was brilliant but I just can’t find any mention of it anywhere now. 

If anyone has any information I’d be most obliged. I read it straight after cold steel and hot blood which was the polar opposite to this book. It wasn’t just about the Christmas truce either. 

Many thanks 

ian 

Thanks Martin, it could be. I’ll order it and see. I remember they talked about using pre set trench mortar agreements to allow the enemy to get out of the way and also firing food over to each other. 

There Red was also a bit about no sniping if they could smell breakfast. It was amazing stuff. 

Yes, the book is excellent.   Shows that Sir Doug was a little wrong in describing the war as one continuous engagement-the Poor Bloody Infantry thought otherwise

Trench Warfare 1914-1918: The Live and Let: Tony Ashworth
Stock Image

It is available online

Trench Warfare, 1914-18 : the live and let live system by Tony Ashworth 2000 reprint edition, first published 1980. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.

Initially you can borrow it for 1 hour, and if no one has joined the waiting list, you can re-borrow for another hour, and continue on in this way.

Cheers

Maureen