Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Medals & Button, Helmet

USAF Engineer Ret.

Attached are items my cousin recently found in a box in his home. Seems to be quite a mixed bag. My grandfather served in Royal Engineers, his brother who emigrated to the States served in the US Army. I believe the helmet to be his. Not sure the origin of Officers button and Iron Cross? I seem to recall a story of my grandfather working with and becoming friendly with a German veteran at General Electric in NJ in the 1930's. Any ideas or theories on any or all of these items would be very much appreciated. 

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0842 (3).jpeg

IMG_0845.jpeg

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

IMG_0852 (2).jpeg

The bottom 2 medals would be your grandfather's 1WW British War & Victory medals & should have his name details impressed around the rim of both medals. The British War medal is the silver(tarnished) medal.

The other similar Victoy medal with the rainbow ribbon is the USA 1WW Victory medal, second photo medal on the left. It was not named. The medal with same ribbon with FRANCE clasp (last photo upside down) should be on the USA Victory ribbon, I am uncertain exactly what this medal represents

If you post the name details on the British War & Victory medals a member will come along & assist you with this.

Thanks for posting,

Bryan

The 3rd cross medal is I think the 'Kultur cross' - google it that will tell you about it.  It junk really, but just my opinion.

Thanks, Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I asked about his name being impressed on bottom of his medals but was told there wasn't any there? Was that normal? I was surprised there wasn't a Wound Stripe there as well. He was hospitalized until Jan 1919 then classified Class Z.

ALL British & Commonwealth (Empire in those days) 1WW & long service medals were named on the rims to the recipient with his Regiment or Corps.

Those two medals I have mentioned should have naming details on the rims, but they might have been skimmed (erased)in the past.

This practice of skimming medals unfortunately is fairly common with named medals.

Wound stripes are not very big (small actually) & likely became parted from the grouping in the past. They are not difficult to obtain from sources like ebay. They are usually made of brass with two loops on the reverse for attaching to the sleeve of the uniform tunic.

If you know some of his hospitalization details & Class Z reserve then you must have his name & possibly service record?