Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geehl or Goehl

stevenbecker

Mates,

Can you confirm this Officer at Gallipoli?

An Ottoman site gives me this?

Nusret (Lt Cdr Tophaneli Hakki) was one of a number of miscellaneous mine warfare ships. On the night of the 8th March 1915, under the guidance of Lt Col Geehl, a Turkish mine expert, she laid a line of 20 mines in Eren Keui or Arenkioi Bay at the time of the Allied naval attack on the Dardanelles defences. Ten days later on the 18th, British pre-dreadnought battleships 'Irresistible' and 'Ocean' and the French 'Bouvet' were all lost in this small field, and British battlecruiser 'Inflexible' badly damaged. If any one small ship changed the course of World War 1 it must be "Nusret".

But my referances to this man gives him as

Goehl     (LtCol) Marine    Minelayer "Nusret" 

Other German Referances to this action give me

Arnim Joachim von     Kov-Kapt Marine     Mine Layer "Nusret" to chief of staff of the navy     1913-15    (not identified) awarded EK II 5-15 and Ottoman Osmanie Order 4th class and Gold Liakat Medal and Medjidie Order 3rd class shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Bettaque Rudolf Lothar    Torp Offizier stellvertreter Marine     Min-Depot Cuxhaven Mines clearance command "Nusret" help lay the mines for allied attack 18-3-15    1915-16    (born at Blankenese KIA 7-5-16 drowned in sinking at the Dardanelles on the "Nusret" laying of the mine lock) also shown Kopfverletzung durch Mine (head wound from mine) grave at Tarabya Istanbul 

Reeder Arnholdt    WO to LtzS Marine    Naval Chief Engineer Reeder on board the Special Command att Ottoman Mine layer "Nusret" - Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando)    1915-    reported layed minefield 8-3-15  that hit allied fleet (not identified)?

While other Ottoman Ref's give;

Nasimi Hafis Efendi    Ottoman minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret"    Capt Naval        from a report by Reeder German CPO 3-15 ship mined the waters of the Dardenelles 3-15 

Nazmi Emin Bey    Mine Group kommdr "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Maj Naval        ship mined the waters of the Dardenelles 3-15 

Tohanli Hakki or Tophaneli Hakki Bey    Commander minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Capt (Maj) Naval        ship mined the waters of the Dardenelles 3-15 

The name Goehl or Geehl are not mentioned by Klaus Wolf in his book, so I am I getting these names right?

Any ideas?

S.B

Shouldn't that be Torpeder-Kapitän Paul Gehl, born 31.01.1850 (a.D. 08.04.1896), Diensteintritt 06.1865 last patent 28.05.1915 (Char.), Sonderkommando Türkei 08.1914 until the end of the war?

Jan

7 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Nasimi Hafis Efendi    Ottoman minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret"    Capt Naval        from a report by Reeder German CPO 3-15 ship mined the waters of the Dardenelles 3-15 

Hello Steve,

Just a quick note: the correct name would be "Nusret".

6 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Shouldn't that be Torpeder-Kapitän Paul Gehl, born 31.01.1850 (a.D. 08.04.1896), Diensteintritt 06.1865 last patent 28.05.1915 (Char.), Sonderkommando Türkei 08.1914 until the end of the war?

Jan

Hello Jan,

I am looking for photos of Reeder, Bettaque and Gehl. Can you help me with this?

Edited by emrezmen

12 minutes ago, emrezmen said:

Hello Jan,

I am looking for photos of Reeder, Bettaque and Gehl. Can you help me with this?

I can't help with pictures, unfortunately.

Jan

Mates,

Thanks I did find him on my DB as;

Gehl     Kor-Kapt (Col) Marine    Albay Gehl 1915-1918 Bogazlar özel güçlerinde görevli (Officers on special duty of straits)    1915-18    reported the water mine barriers and the torpedo battery at Kilid Bahr (Gallipoli) were significantly improved under the expert direction of Corvette Captain retired Gehl (not identified)? 

I did notice these other Ottoman officers on the Nusret

Hüseyin Efendi    2nd Officer minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Lt Naval
Hafiz Nazmi Bey    Mine Group Commander att minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Maj 
Ali Yasar Efendi     Eng officer minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Lt Chief Eng Naval
Beykozlu Ahmet Efendi    2nd Eng officer minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Lt Eng Naval 
Hasan Efendi     3rd Eng officer minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Lt Eng Naval 
Hasan Efendi    Electricity Officer minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Ensign Lt Eng Naval 
Abdullah Efendi     Electricity Officer minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Ensign Lt Eng Naval 
Kadri Efendi     Gunnery officer minelayer "Nusrat" or "Nusret" at Dardanelles    Ensign Naval 

Thanks again.

S.B

Note that his official rank is Torpeder-Kapitän, not Korvetten-Kapitän!

1 hour ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

Thanks, a strange rank I've not come across before?

S.B

The German navy had a huge amount of ranks according to the technical branch one followed.