Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record - Military Medal Details

Duneane

Hi there - I hope somebody can help?

I have a Hugh Curran of Wishaw, Royal Navy, Z/5821 who was attached to the 188th Light Trench Mortar Battery.

On his Service Record, it states that he was awarded the Military Medal for gallant conduct whilst firing from a Trench Mortar emplacement.

It then gives the London Gazette details, which I have, but it doesn’t give any further information.

Is there any way that I can lookup the details of his gallantry? The battle, location, actions etc? Would it be mentioned in the 188th War Diaries and if so, which ones and where can I search them?

Thanks for your help.

4360DB8E-AA3F-4E80-95F1-39B956445418.jpeg

Edited by Duneane

• Admin

Welcome to the forum

Citations for the Military Medal are lost, in fact, 'gallant conduct...etc' is probably the best you are going to find in any citation.

At present war diaries are free from TNA if you register

Unfortunately the diary for the LTM only covers July 1916 so not much help

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355468

The Brigade diaries https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4556262

have details of operation orders and include an action/raid in September where the TM Batteries are singled out for praise for gving accurate supporting fire.

The diaries are also available on Ancestry

Thanks for the pointers - am in Discovery now browsing the diaries. Do I need 95/3111/1 Anson or 95/3111/2 Howe to see the September raid?

Edited by Duneane
Correction

The raid on 7 September 1917 was by Anson Bn. (1 officer and thirty ratings). In and out in just 12 minutes, capturing one prisoner.

Are you able to give me the National Archive ref number and the page that mentions this...?

I’d like to download it.

Thanks.

This MM is a single award to CURRAN H AB HOWE BN RND ATTD 188 LTMB L/GAZ; 19.11.17 SCHEDULE NUMBER 111369 RPNO 68/121/327  DATE OF ACTION AROUND FIRST 2 WEEKS OF SEPTEMBER 1917 BEST W, HOWARD