Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

COLDSTREAM GUARDS

David Ingleby

Guardsman Arthur Ragsdale enlisted in about November 1917 and was posted to the Coldstream Guards, service number 20463. He died in Purfleet Military Hospital of influenza and broncho-pneumonia on February 17th 1919.

No service record survives, and I am struggling to find which battalion he served in. There is nothing on his Medal Roll, the Medal Index Card, nor his Dependant's Pension Card to indicate which unit. The only clue is on the Register of Soldiers' Effects which gives "6th Company, Coldstream Guards".

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find his actual unit?

Thanks

My notes from the coldstream records completed during the war recording deaths does not record a battalion for Arthur

there is some more info  but too small to read on my phone - will look later

Hi,

You say his service record hasn’t survived? Do you mean you can’t find it on Ancestry/FMP? Only a small proportion of CG service files are on Ancestry/FMP.

All Guards Regiments kept their own service record archives until quite recently so they avoided the 1940 fire. CG records are now with MOD.

I'd hazard an informed guess that the mention of 6 Company refers to the Reserve Battalion - 5th CG - administratively based at Windsor and denotes he saw active service with 2nd Battalion.

My gf 1915 Medical Board record has him as 6 Company when he was with 5th CG recovering from wounds sustained at Ypres November 1914 with 2nd CG.

The Regimental History explains how the Reserve Battalion held several thousand men on strength at any given time. They were organised for administrative purposes in to various  companies - eventually numbered 1 to 10 - more numerous than the usual 4 Company active service Battalion establishment.

Extract From Volume 2 CG 1914/1918 Reg History by Sir John Ross of Bladensburg re Reserve Battalion - 

“At the end of February 1915 authority was obtained to increase the (Reserve Battalion) establishment by three more companies, Nos. 5, 6, and 7 ; No. 5 Company to receive the returned other ranks from the 1st Battalion, No. 6 from the 2nd Battalion, and No. 7 from the 3rd Battalion.

Later in the summer of the same year, on the formation of the Guards Division, the Coldstream raised the 4th Battalion for service in France, as the Pioneer Divisional Unit, and as already mentioned the Reserve Battalion then became known as the 5th Battalion ; on the 27th November following, authority was again obtained to form a further extra company, No. 8, to receive returned other ranks from the 4th (Pioneer) Battalion.

Lastly, on the 15th August 1918, two more companies, Nos. 9 and 10, were added to the establishment.”

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Many thanks for your responses. I wasn't aware the service records of the Guards' Regiments were available from the MOD and am grateful for the information! I have contacted the MOD in Glasgow and they are sending me the application forms. As they are all working from home, when I will get them is another matter!

Steve - I'm most grateful for the additional info re the 5th Battalion etc. Hopefully that will tie in when the record arrives.

Hi,

You're welcome.

Here is the link to allow you to download the 2 required forms. You won’t need a death certificate as he was born over 116 years ago. It might be an idea to attach a copy of CWGC record and include a covering letter.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Please return to the forum and update this topic when you get his papers as I’d like to know if my “educated guess” is correct :rolleyes: and the service record delivery timescale.

Good Luck

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

you will find that there are NO records of service papers for Coldstreamers who died on FMP etc  - at least ive never seen one