Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French journalist's visit to Helles

michaeldr

A quote from  Patrick Shaw-Stewart by Ronald Knox, published by William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd., 1920

addressed to Edward Horner, 24th October 1915

“...I have scarcely seen a civilian, and was moved to some emotion by the sight of a French journalist in a straw hat and tweed suit who once ventured on to this place.”

It's hard to say exactly when the French journalist might have visited Helles, as even before he was made liaison officer to the French force, Patrick Shaw-Stewardt was in friendly contact with them eg: swapping his jam for their bread.

Can anyone identify who the French journalist was, and does anyone know of any Gallipoli related articles published by this man?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Edited by michaeldr
correction to spelling

Scratching around the web, I see that the journalist Albert Londres was in the theatre during 1915 and may therefore have visited Helles and been seen by Shaw-Stewart.

Londres published an account in January 1916 which I understand was titled 'L’Enfer des Dardanelles

Are there any other candidates that anyone can think of?

• 3 years later...

André Tudesq (1883-1925), special correspondent of the newspaper Journal  published in Paris,  was sent to the Dardanelles Front. His writings were translated into germen and published in Austia in following news papers:

Karnisch-Julische Kriegszeitung, 5.8.1915,p.4, In den englischen Stellungen vor den Dardanellen. (In the English trenches)

Arbeiter Zeitung, 31.8.1915,s.5, Im Zeltlager von Gallipoli.  (In the tent camp of Gallipoli)

Wiener Allgemeine Zeitung, 1.9.1915,s.7,Auf einem französischen Schlachtschiff vor den Dardanellen. (In a french battleship infront of Gallipoli)

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2020 at 13:50, michaeldr said:

A quote from  Patrick Shaw-Stewart by Ronald Knox, published by William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd., 1920

addressed to Edward Horner, 24th October 1915

“...I have scarcely seen a civilian, and was moved to some emotion by the sight of a French journalist in a straw hat and tweed suit who once ventured on to this place.”

It's hard to say exactly when the French journalist might have visited Helles, as even before he was made liaison officer to the French force, Patrick Shaw-Steward was in friendly contact with them eg: swapping his jam for their bread.

Can anyone identify who the French journalist was, and does anyone know of any Gallipoli related articles published by this man?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Sorry to be a pedant Michael but it's Shaw-Stewart (not Steward). As for the French journo, I have searched my 'extensive library' but can't find any sensible suggestions for you.