Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal reunite, with their recipient

chaz

thought I would post here as medal rather than soldier specific.

In my signature I have Arthur Gleed, my maternal great uncle, one of mothers father's brothers. I only knew grandfather for 4 years while he was living with us so being 4years old couldnt ask him anything although, I seem to remember him being a funny old ***. I was always told to be quiet. He returned with a shrapnel wound in his skull, with a silver plate covering the hollow.

He had 4 brothers serving in the war and one cousin, who lived in the same village.

Ive been looking for any medals to the boys for years, Ive got grandfathers SWB that was all until this year.. then at Auction I won Uncle Arthur's trio and plaque along with  brother Fred's trio and plaque and younger brother Percy's trio (he returned).

Arthur has finally been able to be reunited with his medals

20200713_143555.jpg.0975400c2360a27f1d9105c018929853.jpg

while there I also let him hold Fred's and Percy's. Just have to get the other two's now, Fred is in Germany , so a bit of a jaunt and John is in Cambrin, I was in contact with his grandson up until a couple of years ago but email not getting through now.

Arthur, Fred and Percys.

20200713_143835.jpg

Chaz that is simply FANTASTIC!  Superb find \reunite.  Very happy for you!

Love the photos!

Best wishes!

Bryan

Congratulations Chaz, that is amazing.  Gives hope to those of us searching for family medals.  Can’t imagine the feeling waiting for the hammer to drop.

Mandy

to follow on, I started collecting by collecting a WW1 trio and plaque to the Wiltshire Regt, and a QE2 GSM both on the same day in 1974 for £30, the GSM sold a few years ago for £75, the Trio and plaque still mounted on my wall. That was it for collecting until the Nineties, a few odds and ends that satisfied my needs at the time. many Ive still got but no connection. since the middle naughties Ive been looking for the family ones, contacted the Gloucester Regt museum who said they had been noted in the seventies but since then no idea. 

during the looking years I started my Wheeler named collection primarily for WW1 but a few others, since starting I have over 130 individuals medals, singles, pairs, trios, but generally on a budget I wont exceed. 

then these three groups came up as one lot through a midlands collection, you have to pay what you want if you want them bad enough. with buyers premium and postage ( not unreasonable p&p) they came to over £800. as you say Mandy, waiting for the hammer and the drop of a bid, then on the day raising it as a left bid, It was off to bed. When you get up and check the auction result , you are never sure if you did or didnt until the email comes through...

My biggest worry over the years..... had the silver BWM's been melted down for scrap, thankfully, I know three that havnt been...

Great to hear this, Chaz, thanks for posting. Gives hope to the rest of us (8 great-uncles, both grandfathers and a great-grandfather served - only managed to find one set of medals, so far).

Cheers, Pat

Congratulations Chaz.  Never knew what happened to my grandfather's medals, would love to have them.

Sue

Great result Chaz. My grand uncle's are mine now due to a request to his executors. I thought they had been disposed of.

It's a great feeling

Dave

That is simply fantastic and how emotional it must have been for you to visit the graves and place the medals on them - Thank you Sir for your respect.