Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VCs of Gallipoli

dewey

I just finished reading this book and have to say it is simply wonderful. The sacrifice the men of the United Kingdom made during this battle is astounding. I knew of what a disaster the battle was in retrospect, but the 39 men who won the Victoria Cross during the campaign were true heroes. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lilydalelil
The sacrifice the men of the United Kingdom made during this battle is astounding. I knew of what a disaster the battle was in retrospect, but the 39 men who won the Victoria Cross during the campaign were true heroes.

United Kingdom??

Shame, Michael

The sacrifice the men of the United Kingdom made during this battle is astounding.  I knew of what a disaster the battle was in retrospect, but the 39 men who won the Victoria Cross during the campaign were true heroes.

United Kingdom??

Shame, Michael

Dear Lilydalelil,

Shame?

What shame exactly?

The reviewer mentioned a country, which is probably of personal interest to them,

But as far as I can see they have excluded no one

Would you have preferred it if ALL participating nationalities had been mentioned?

Including no doubt Ceylon, Newfoundland, Nepal, Russia, Senegal, Algeria, Malta, Egypt, various parts of the Ottoman Empire and Germany, not to mention the odd American who served in British uniform.

Life is too short to look for problems

Or to take offence when none was intended

Regards

Michael D.R.

Guest lilydalelil
But as far as I can see they have excluded no one

Would you have preferred it if ALL participating nationalities had been mentioned?

Including no doubt Ceylon, Newfoundland, Nepal, Russia, Senegal, Algeria, Malta, Egypt, various parts of the Ottoman Empire and Germany, not to mention the odd American who served in British uniform.

Life is too short to look for problems

Or to take offence when none was intended

Regards

Michael D.R.

But someone may consider the representatives of New Zealand and Zion might be worth a mention :huh:

the representatives of New Zealand and Zion might be worth a mention

You forgot the French, the Irish, the Scottish, the Welsh, the Aussies, the Indians, etc.. I am not annoyed by this slight oversight but could the guys from the various parts of the Ottoman Empire and Germany qualify for a "VC" ?

Liam

Guest lilydalelil
You forgot the French, the Irish, the Scottish, the Welsh, the Aussies, the Indians, etc.. I am not annoyed by this slight oversight but could the guys from the various parts of the Ottoman Empire and Germany qualify for a "VC" ?

The French?

The only French VC was won by an Australian!

Germans have won VC's, but not knowing all the various parts of the Ottoman Empire, I can't answer that part of the question. Michael may have covered the Indians in his reference to Americans, but no-one here seems to have remembered the English.

Despite the opening thoughts expressed in this thread, the official VC site does not specify United Kingdom as the nationality of of any winner. Perhaps the 39 UK awards from Gallipoli are among the staggeringly high number of Unknown nationalities mentioned on the VC homepage.

Hi, I certainly meant no offense, I was just referring to the men whose story I had just read about. All I was trying to do was express that I thought this was an excellent book. The sacrifice of all those who served, in not only the battle but the entire war deserve attention, and respect. I mispoke, I only meant to say that 39 soldiers from Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand won the Victoria Cross during the campaign, and was attempting to state my appreciation for that endeavor. I have read numerous books on the First World War and have a profound admiration for those who served in the conflict; Gallipoli was a battle fought at a terrible cost to all countries who took part. I think you knew that this is what I meant lilydalelil, but you were seeking to be argumentative, that is the real shame, as this forum is designed to honour their sacrifice, not to quibble over mistakes, but I am sorry if it offended you. I again recommend this book, it is an excellent read, I found my copy for only 4.99!!