Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 10 Squadron John George Clark

I am new to this site and am hoping to find information on my maternal grandfather, Flight Sub-Lieutenant J. G. Clark,  a pilot in No. 10 Squadron.  He was Canadian.  I read his flight log and found it so interesting.  He and Norman MacGregor shot down an Albatross on December 10, 1917.  J G Clark was flying an E5658.  "attacked E.A. single seater over ????  Guns jambed and Lieut. Coun. MacGregor took up the fight.  Soon after the E.A. broke out in flames and went down.".  To show how green I am at this I was trying to find out who Handly Page was when I was surprised to see it was a type of aircraft!!  On December 12, 1917 J. G. Clark writes "out to look for crashed Handly Page".  A short while later there was an "offensive sweep" and he states "attacked by 3 E.A. over Astundi.  Shot in engine and forced to land behind enemy German lines.  Spent a year there".  He was shot down by Paul Billik Jasta 7.   MacGregor received the Distinguished Service Cross related to this fight.  How would I know if my grandfather received a medal?  My grandfather spent a year at the Holzminden Officer POW Camp under Niemeyer.  I am also trying to locate in the library the book by Mike Westrop "A History of No. 10 Squadron RNAS".  I will review other topics on this site to find other books about Squadron 10 and Holzminden.  I look forward to spending many hours on this site!!

On another Forum, I posted a day-by-day chronology of the work of the air services.  The entries that cover your grandfather are:

10 December 1917:

Flt Sub-Lieut John George Clark, Camel B5658 and Flt Lieut Norman Miers MacGregor, Camel B6299, 10N Sqn, Albatros Scout in flames Oostnieuwkerke at 11:20/12:20 - during a patrol over Roulers, Ypres district, eight Camels of No 10 Squadron encountered an Albatros scout at 9,000 feet.  E.A. was attacked by Flight Sub-Lieut Clark and Flight Commander MacGregor in turn.  The machine went down out of control and then burst into flames.

12 December 1917:

Flt Sub-Lieut John George Clark (Pow), 10N Sqn, Camel N6330 - combat with Albatros Scouts at 14,000 feet shot down out of control north of Dixmude at 15:45/16:45; Ltn Paul Billik, Jasta 7, 8th victory [Keiem at 15:30/16:30]

Your grandfather does not appear in my gallantry medals database, but would presumably have been eligible for the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

The following appeared in the London Gazette of 22 February 1918:

HONOURS FOR THE ROYAL NAVAL AIR SERVICE.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the following honours, decorations and medals to Officers and men of the Royal Naval Air Service: —

To receive the Distinguished Service Cross.

Flt.-Lieut. (Act. Flt.-Cdr.) Norman Miers Macgregor, R.N.A.S.

In recognition of his skill and courage in aerial combats.  On the 12th December, 1917, whilst leading his flight on an offensive sweep, he encountered a body of six Albatross scouts at 14,000 feet.  In the general fight which ensued he attacked a scout which was engaging one of our machines and drove it down out of control, and it was seen to crash. 

Act. Flt.-Cdr. Macgregor has destroyed several enemy machines and has led his flight with great dash and judgment.

Hope this is of interest.

Graeme

Noting that you're new to all this, you might want to note that 10 Squadron RNAS and 10 Squadron RFC were not the same - something that might save you getting diverted into fruitless searches.

Thank you so much for this valuable information Graeme.  I will look for that chronology you mention in the Forum.  

I see in the second post you are correct I had no idea these were different entities.  So much to learn.   Thank you.

I was interested in another member of this squadron (FSL Douglas Wright) and photographed some pages of the logs at the National Archives when I was there a couple of years ago. These are the relevant pages.

BDC28E3D-E4F4-41CB-BBDB-A375370BD821.jpeg

CCC87E2A-8E13-49AB-AC02-8EDC1D2877CB.jpeg

E3EAE5BC-7D17-4694-BC03-292DE9B441F5.jpeg

D0304A26-86EC-4EC0-B305-A0E2DE64BE3F.jpeg

Also worth noting that No 10 Squadron had very distinctive liveries with a striped nose section and Macgregor’s plane has been modelled several times. I am unclear when this livery was applied with one source saying Sept 1917 and another not until early 1918.

029A110E-CC45-4DAF-A0A3-9359E09D073C.jpeg

• spof changed the title to No 10 Squadron John George Clark