Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. Medals awarded to Canadian Soldiersliving in U.S.

BDuprest

My GGrandfather was a private in the CEF and served in France. He lived in Chicago, Illinois but crossed the border and enlisted in Ontario. He was awarded the U.K. Victory Medal, British War Medal and War Badge. He also received a United States World War I Victory Medal with a "France" clasp on it. Just curious if anyone has information on how a Canadian Infantryman was awarded a United States Medal? He did live in the United Sates, but served the CEF.

Interesting. If you shared his name and service number, I will have a look at his file to see if there are any hints there. Do you know if the American medal was officially issued to him or did he just acquire it?

All the best,

Gary

The medal is in the display case that all of his medals were in and handed down through the generations. We all assume he was awarded it somehow since it was kept with his Canadian medals, but we are not 100% sure. From what I can gather I have seen nothing in his file that points to it, but I am no expert. His name is Albert Duprest, #3030121

I have had a look at his file an everything is CEF related. A quick search suggested that the American medal was issued unnamed. Odds are that it is something he picked up that was related to the war.

All the best,

Gary

To earn a US medal(s) he would have to have been enlisted in the US Army during the qualifying period for the US Victory medal.

I think, since he was a US citizen, he likely thought he would want to have a US Victory medal in his group so he acquired an example & simply added it to his CEF medals. 

Thanks,

Bryan