Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KSLI

Sandramheath

Hi Everyone, please forgive my naivitiy. I wish to display my grandfathers medals and would like to put short annotation of which battles he fought in during WW1.

He Joined KSLI 13th Jan, 1914. Was wounded and discharged not fit for service 10th August 1916. 

He has three medals Victory, Campaigne medal and War medal( I think thats what they are called).

Can anyone please tell me how I know which Battalion he belonged to and where his unit was during the time he served. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Admin

Hello Sandra and welcome to the forum.

What was his name and number please?

Good luck with your research.

David

• Admin

His medal card shows he entered a theatre of war 10/9/14 and was awarded 14 Star, Victory and British Medal. Also awarded Silver War Badge. 1/KSLI went to France in September 1914 and joined 6th Division. 

War diaries are currently free to download from the National Archives so you should be able to follow his War. 

Michelle 

Hello Michelle, thank you so much for this information. I expect his silver badge was lost. I will certainly go to the National Archives. I appreciate your time, thank you again.

Sandra

• Admin

He was also eligible for the clasp to his 14 star and a rosette to display on the ribbon, as he was under fire before  22Nd November, but he didn't claim them it appears. 

Hello Michelle, something else to add to his record, thank you. I have looked on the National Archives and the war diaries for his regiment are held st Shrewsbury. I have been on their site and they are closed at the moment due to covid. As soon as they open I will book a visit. Once again thank you for your help.

Sandra

If you click here, you will see The National Archives War Diaries for 1/KSLI. If you click each one (there are several for various years), you'll see that you can download a copy for free; you just have to register.

Acknown

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Sandramheath said:

Hello Michelle, something else to add to his record, thank you. I have looked on the National Archives and the war diaries for his regiment are held st Shrewsbury.

The war diary for the 1st KSLI is available on Ancestry here If you subscribe, some councils are making the library edition free at home to library members.

alternatively as Michelle recommended it can be downloaded from TNA free if you register

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017176

He is on a casualty list published on November 18, 1914 as wounded (Sheffield Daily Telegraph).  The lists were published by the War Office and picked up in their entirety by local newspapers.

It is likely he was wounded in actions around Bois Grenier at the end of October although he is the only wounded KSLI soldier on the list. 

see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battlefields/gazetteer-of-the-western-front/gazetteer-of-the-western-front-bois-grenier/ for an introduction.  In fact it’s recommended you look around the Long Long Trail site for information on researching a soldier.

He only served with the 1st Battalion so it seems unlikely he recovered.

His Medal Roll entry (TNA records on Ancestry) show 'discharged'. No date given. 

Acknown

• Admin
1 hour ago, Acknown said:

His Medal Roll entry (TNA records on Ancestry) show 'discharged'. No date given. 

Acknown

Silver war badge roll shows discharged 10 August 1916 as posted by OP

2 hours ago, Acknown said:

If you click here, you will see The National Archives War Diaries for 1/KSLI. If you click each one (there are several for various years), you'll see that you can download a copy for free; you just have to register.

Acknown

Fascinating thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2020 at 21:32, kenf48 said:

It is likely he was wounded in actions around Bois Grenier at the end of October

Hi Sandra

A couple of years ago, I was involved in running a battlefield tour that went to Bois Grenier. You may be interested in the document I wrote describing what happened, which I have attached.

Robin

1KSLI at Le Quesne Farm 20 Oct 1914.pdf

Sandra

I have an interest in Bois-Grenier too; I think this is the modern view of the area Robin describes looking from the bridge over the Eurostar line close to La Grand Flamengerie Farm. The railway line on Robin's map is now a road in the industrial estate and I think La Quesne Farm is either on the right edge of the photo or just behind the industrial units. It's a very flat area, and if you've been down the autoroute (which passes just the other side of the industrial estate) or travelled on the Eurostar to or from Lille you have crossed the area that Robin describes.

Pete.

IMG_2150.JPG.2d43f1c75e182a3780f345528bbd09a2.JPG

Pete,  I suspect you were train surfing to get that photo!!!

While this trench map is from 1917 it shows the location of La Quesne Farm.  Courtesy of National Library of Scotland and Gazetteer of the Western Front via tMapper.

image.png.b8eb805902fcc93f7d799ef59e3ceca1.png