Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded - Private Victor Walker 16436

Maxsparky

From research in British Newspaper Archive.  He was reported wounded in a local paper, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Walker. 16436, Victor. (Home town, Scarva)
Published: Saturday 22 July 1916
Newspaper: Larne Times.  I'm assuming during Simme offensive?

Looking advice to track down his journey from battlefield to medical care history, if possible?

14 minutes ago, Maxsparky said:

He was reported wounded in a local paper, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Walker. 16436, Victor. (Home town, Scarva)
Published: Saturday 22 July 1916
Newspaper: Larne Times.  I'm assuming during Simme offensive?

That notification, if it was sourced from an official list of casualties, seems too soon to have been even a 1st day of Somme casualty. Normally the delay was a good 4 weeks, suggesting actual wounding c 22 June 1916. Unless of course the source was from his family who heard it from him ?

Charlie

Edit-  He also appears with same details in Belfast Newsletter of 15/7/16  listing perhaps 30 wounded of the RIrishFusiliers thus I suggest actual wounding mid June 1916.

Edited by charlie962

Reported wounded in the Irish Times of 25 October 1916 with seven other Royal Irish Fusiliers. So Somme still a possibility I guess.

Or perhaps a second wounding.

John

28 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Another Walker from Scarva with a close serial number in the Fusiliers.

Screenshot_20200712-150126.jpg

Yes.  That's a brother of Victor.  Enlisted on same day.  Had record of two hospital admissions for him, but not this one.  He eventually became a POW in Mar 1918, captured at St Quentin, Marne.  Thank you for update.