Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID

J Cooper

Hello Everyone

I am just getting used to this forum and have made a few mistakes all ready but hope this message comes out OK.

I have photos of my Great Grandfather Thomas Edwards from Manchester who is on the right ( I have posted his medal index in that section)

On the left is my Great uncle "Harry" I believe his real name was William Henry Edwards who also lived in Manchester. ( I cannot find anything about him)

All I have is these scanned photos what can you tell me about him from the photo? I do have another one which I can post if it is of some help.

If there is also anything you can add about Thomas please do (thank you!)

PS sorry if my typing is bad or mistakes made my Disability/illness causes me to make mistakes at times.

Best wishes Julie

post-23-1108907891.jpg

The chap on the right is wearing the ribbon of the 1914 or 1914/15 Star above his left tunic pocket, he has three Wound Stripes on his left sleeve, Corporal stripes, and above them what looks like the insignia of the 55th (West Lancs) Division. But it is a bit dark to be sure.

You can also just make out his overseas chevrons on his right sleeve.

Had a look at the MIC you posted. I see he was 7th South Lancs and then 8th Manchesters. They were part of the 42nd East lancs division who had the insignia below. However, I though units in this division wore insignia with a large number of their battalion on it - from memory a diamond with an 8 on for this battalion?

post-23-1108908411.jpg

The man standing looks to me as if he is not an infantryman.

It needs someone with better eyes than mine, but I suspect he is in the Army Ordnance Corps - title AOC.

However, I stand to be corrected by any forum "eagle eyes".

Thanks so much for your replies is there anything you can tell me about the man on the left from his uniform he was know as Harry, but I believe his full name was William Henry Edwards

I have another picture not sure if it will come out well but will attach.

PS how do you make the photo lighter??

Thank you everyone you have been so kind.

Best wishes Julie

post-23-1108909414.jpg

Julie

You had better ask someone who knows exactly what they are doing to tell you how to make a photo lighter. I am using something called "EZ-Pix", which you may not have anyway.

Meanwhile, here is your second photo.

Regards

Tony

post-23-1108910115.jpg

Thanks Tony for making the photo lighter I will have a look around and see that I can find some software or check my books for PSP and a freebie of Photoshop

Best wishes Julie

Thanks Tony for making the photo lighter I will have a look around and see that I can find some software or check my books for PSP and a freebie of Photoshop

Best wishes Julie

Julie

Just keep an eye on this thread. Someone will probably tell you how to lighten pictures using what you have now, probably "Paintshop".

However, that someone wont be me. I am amazed that I managed to figure out how to do it with "EZ-Pics" :D