Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. Army nurse Helen Sobey - stumped

Jim Strawbridge

I have been trying to research the family background of U.S. Army nurse Helen Sobey. The limited information that I have found is that she is believed to have been born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1893 although a source suggests Warsaw, Poland. She enrolled on the 17th August 1918 and died at the Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, D.C. on the 3rd March 1919. She is believed to have been buried in Cleveland. I currently know nothing more about her. Any leads would be appreciated.

Her Military Record has a middle initial M and residence as Cleveland Ohio (from familysearch.org).

DIstrict of Columbia Deaths register, from the same source, gives her age at death as 26 and estimates her year of birth as 1863 (though could easily have been 1862, since she died so early in the year); also gives her place of birth as Cleveland, Ohio.

Sobey.png

Edited by seaJane

Jim

I've found an obituary in The Cleveland Plain Dealer with a very poor photograph. It says she was born in Warsaw? I'll send it to you via email.

Aled

Nice one Aled!

Thank you, Jane. I had found that card and information thereon. I wonder if the Warsaw that I mentioned is one of the several Warsaws in the U.S.A. (Indiana and New York) or if it is the Poland one. If Poland it might explain the lack of information available so I look forward to Aled's newspaper article with interest (not yet received).

• Admin

US 1910 Census has a Helen E Sobey born 1892 (in Canada) then living as a servant in Swampscott, Essex, Massachusetts. FMP link 

Same census has Helen L Sobey living with family born 1891 in New Jersey FMP link

Neither appear in the 1920 US census under those names, no marriage records easily found either.

7 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

... I look forward to Aled's newspaper article with interest (not yet received).

Jim

I sent it at 22.54 last night to jim strawbridge AT coinsale DOT fsnet DOT co DOT uk Let me know if your email has changed or if it still hasn't arrived

Aled