Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody decipher this please?

GJW

If anyone can shed light on this document it would be appreciated, especially the bottom line. 

image.png.4a747d0aec8608c7210d1d85f6470054.png

Expanding some contractions:

Captain D.C. Greene, Special Reserve.

Army Veterinary Corps

?? LG 14/12/17 Page 18489

The last line appears to be a reference to page 18489 of the London Gazette of 14th December 1917.

I have no idea JB. That was all there was in print. It did look like it was on a Pension Record type card but it is clearly it is not. Hence the post - I have no idea what it represents.

Cheers,

gerard

11 minutes ago, Wexflyer said:

Army Veterinary Corps

The last line appears to be a reference to page 18489 of the London Gazette of 14th December 1917.

I think  the ?? is M.I.D.

Otherwise agree with the rest.

I think the first three letters on the bottom line are M.I.D., i.e. Mentioned in Despatches, and the LG date and page number refer.

13 minutes ago, Wexflyer said:

Army Veterinary Corps

Might be MID ... 10489

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Confirmation of promotion or retirement?

Cheers Harry -you nailed it. Must have been included in his file on a card. Oh for Kew to open its doors again!

Thank you all as usual.

Gerard

Just noticed now - MID - mentioned in dispatches :)

image.png.fc85195c766252d08d4488779227cca9.png

HarryBrook has this spot on at Post #9.  It is an index card specifically for Mention in Despatches.  So where's his Medal Index Card? 

We find an MIC for Captain DC Green RAVC at the following link: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2426541  Interestingly, the MIC shows no medal entitlement whatsoever.  It simply gives a reference at the bottom right corner "68/Vety/422." Unless it's an error, an MID for Home Service surely suggests an most interesting forgotten achievement. 

However there is another MIC for Lieutenant/Captain David Campbell Greene AVC at the following link: 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2439712 

He is BEF 1914 with 14 Star and Clasp/BWM/BVM who looks more likely......it also mentions "Emblems" (MID oak leaves) which likely nails it down to him. 

Edited by TullochArd

Bottom half MIC says;

DVS Army of Rhine forwards list of officers entitled to VM 8/9/19.

Director Veterinary Services.

Part of Army of Occupation then. Did he get his VM I wonder.

TEW

14 minutes ago, TEW said:

Bottom half MIC says;

DVS Army of Rhine forwards list of officers entitled to VM 8/9/19.

Director Veterinary Services.

Part of Army of Occupation then. Did he get his VM I wonder.

TEW

Apologies TEW - we seem to have crossed over - Greene AVC came as a rapid follow up to Green RAVC.  Promise to buck up. Regards. Ian

Edited by TullochArd

Thanks chaps.

Ian - Tulloch: The 2nd MIC is him as there is an address on it that confirms it - Knocknagee Lodge.

TEW - yes he did get his VM. 

Gerard

14 hours ago, GJW said:

Thanks chaps.

Ian - Tulloch: The 2nd MIC is him as there is an address on it that confirms it - Knocknagee Lodge.

TEW - yes he did get his VM. 

Gerard

Good stuff Gerard.  It'd be interesting to find out the circumstances of the MID but I suspect the chances of that are slim to zero.  He sounds like the kind of horsey bloke you'd buy a pint for the week before the Grand National.  Keep us posted please - an interesting story.  Ian

Edited by TullochArd

This is pretty much what I have on him. I believe his file is in Kew so will have to wait to see about that.

Greene, David Campbell. Royal Army Veterinary Corps. Rank: Captain.

Born 25th February 1892. Third son of Charles Westland and Amelia (nee Campbell) of Kilkea Lodge Farm. David was involved in the war very early and he was sent to France on 29th September 1914 to serve as a veterinary Surgeon. He received a ‘Mention in Dispatches’ in the London Gazette on 17th October 1917. (‘Mention in Dispatches’ means one’s name appears in an official report written by a superior officer and sent to the high command, in which his or her gallant or meritorious action in the face of the enemy is described.) After the cessation of hostilities, David served with the ‘British Army of the Rhine’, an army of occupation in Germany’s Rhineland. We do not know when he actually left army service but that he went on to marry a Doris Comins and they had a daughter named Marion. He was entitled to The 1914-15 Star, The British War and Victory Medals. Not Forgotten!

12 hours ago, GJW said:

This is pretty much what I have on him. I believe his file is in Kew so will have to wait to see about that.

Greene, David Campbell. Royal Army Veterinary Corps. Rank: Captain.

Born 25th February 1892. Third son of Charles Westland and Amelia (nee Campbell) of Kilkea Lodge Farm. David was involved in the war very early and he was sent to France on 29th September 1914 to serve as a veterinary Surgeon. He received a ‘Mention in Dispatches’ in the London Gazette on 17th October 1917. (‘Mention in Dispatches’ means one’s name appears in an official report written by a superior officer and sent to the high command, in which his or her gallant or meritorious action in the face of the enemy is described.) After the cessation of hostilities, David served with the ‘British Army of the Rhine’, an army of occupation in Germany’s Rhineland. We do not know when he actually left army service but that he went on to marry a Doris Comins and they had a daughter named Marion. He was entitled to The 1914-15 Star, The British War and Victory Medals. Not Forgotten!

Double check on the medal entitlement Gerard .......I read 14 Star with Clasp, BWM and BVM with Emblem.  Regards.  Ian.

Edited by TullochArd

Thank you Ian. The audience I am putting this together for I have opted for keeping it simple. It has not past me by though :)

Gerard