Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Michael's Church, Tidworth built 1911-12: ceremony

Moonraker

Given that we sometimes discuss the building prewar of army camps, I think I can squeeze this topic in.

1260208125_Tidworthchurchconsecration.jpg.a9fe06bb9a1df34cecdbfa9703f80d2d.jpg

This postcard has a Tidworth postmark of August 1, 1911 and I assume that it shows the laying of the foundation stone of St Michael's Church at Tidworth on May 22, 1911 - note the mortar and trowels close to the speaker. Major General Sir Henry Rawlinson did the actual laying - pity he isn't in the photo, nor any other officers (except on the far right of the photo).  There's a goodly collection of godly people there and I assume from the medals that at least two were military chaplains. I can't see the Bishop of Salisbury, Dr Wordsworth. (Google his name for images, if you want to check.) I assume that the cleric with a mortar board on his head is a doctor of divinity or theology.

I have enough details about the building of the church but wouldn't mind a few words of info about the ceremony and who the clerics were, please.

I can't find anything on-line and I'm not sure that the most appropriate local paper, the Andover Advertiser, has has been digitised.

Heck, Tony, that's fantastic - I  couldn't have asked for more. The Salisbury and Winchester Journal was one I seldom looked at when I was deep into research 25 years ago, partly because a lot of its content related to Hampshire (understandably so). Of course the Andover Advertiser also straddled the county border, but that was the best newspaper for Tidworth (which also straddles that same border). Thanks!

Memo to self: check out more of these on-line resources, as I meant to do at my library's family history centre last winter but never got around to it. And as I meant to do from home during Lockdown, but was pleasantly busy with other matters.

PS The article also explains the absence of the Bishop of Salisbury.

Edited by Moonraker