Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

An Irish RMLI man

domwalsh

Morning all.

After a couple of days of squinting, magnifying and swearing, I've finally managed to decipher part of a marine's ADM 159 record of service. I am now seeking further information on PO.2575-S- Pte Patrick McDowall (sometimes written McDowell), who was born in 1899 in "Aughavas, Cloone, Leitrim" and upon discharge in 1919 his address was "1216 Dumbarton Rd, Glasgow". He took part in the Zeebrugge Raid. I have no family details.

Thanks in advance.

Dom

Dom, As you know from the ADM 159 record, he spent the war at the RMLI Depot, Deal, apart from being called forward for the Zeebrugge Raid. 

You may find more information in his ADM 157 papers at Kew.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16559551

but note that "This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.  You can order records in advance to be ready for you when you visit Kew. You will need a reader's ticket to do this. Or, you can request a quotation for a copy to be sent to you."  The copying service is probably suspended for Covid 19.

Not much of immediate help.

Edited by horatio2

Thanks, my friend. Yes, the ADM157 is my best hope. Shame they're not digitised. Is Kew open again?

Cheers.

Dom

Hi Dom, the good news is that it is open. The bad news is that places are limited, and I believe it is now fully booked for the first week of opening, based upon what I saw last night. Link to pertinent thread:

Don't think I'll be going any time soon, but thanks for the info

5 hours ago, domwalsh said:

Morning all.

After a couple of days of squinting, magnifying and swearing, I've finally managed to decipher part of a marine's ADM 159 record of service. I am now seeking further information on PO.2575-S- Pte Patrick McDowall (sometimes written McDowell), who was born in 1899 in "Aughavas, Cloone, Leitrim" and upon discharge in 1919 his address was "1216 Dumbarton Rd, Glasgow". He took part in the Zeebrugge Raid. I have no family details.

Thanks in advance.

Dom

His RMLI Portsmouth Division Short Service record doesn't say a lot more, except that he took part in a ballot for a VC after Zeebrugge.

However, FindmyPast says that he joined the Connaught Rangers as number 7145212 (I think in 1921), and also that he was living at 2 Annamoe Terrace, Dublin, in 1992! I haven't proved that these refer to the same person.

aim.

On 8 July 2020 at 17:00, Keith_history_buff said:

Nice one. He's on the National Army Museum's site, in particular the Enlistment Books for defunct Irish regiments.

https://www.nam.ac.uk/soldiers-records/persons?ss={"q":"7145212"}

Presumably records of service post WW1 for Connaught Rangers are not available?

Unfortunately not. Post January 1921 should be with MoD.

41 minutes ago, archangel9 said:

Unfortunately not. Post January 1921 should be with MoD.

Thought as much. Anyway, at least I know a bit more about him than I did. My next job now I know he returned to Glasgow after the Connaught Rangers is to try to get some family background....