Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Off topic, but think you will know.

sc-em

Some of you will know that I am venturing to France in the summer and staying in Normandy, with the intent of going to some of the WW1sites in northern France on the odd day. However, it occurred to me that I have been building up my holiday reading list of books like the History of WW1 by Martin Gilbert and his Somme book, in addition to some maps and the Holts Battlefield Guide for there, but not for where I am actually staying which is not far from the D Day landing sites. I know it is not within the provenance of this forum, but I was wondering whether anyone could recommend some books for this part of the world, by way of an alternative to my WW1 ones? Not whole world two histories as such but more to do with the area and the beaches. I suppose something along the Holts book. If so, any ideas would be appreciated and I could set about ordering some.

Thanks

I'm being biased here as I was the co-author along with Stepeh Wright, but if you're interested in the British glider landings from around midnight to 3 a.m. (prior to the seaborne invasion) there's 'One Night in June', originally published by Airlife in 94 and republished as 'Operation Tonga' by Fonthill a few years ago. Covers the fate of all 98 gliders from Operation Tonga which includes the seizure of Pegasus and Horsa bridges; the attack on the Merville Battery, the destruction of a number of other river bridges and the anti-tank screen around Ranville.

If you're looking for a book on D Day, I can go no further than recommend Sand and Steel by Peter Caddick-Adams. Quite a tome, but excellent.

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor.

• DavidOwen locked this topic