Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain William Rawle

Keith_history_buff

William Rawle appears on the 1939 Register. He lives with his wife Doris (and presumably 3 children) at Dark Street Lane, Plympton St Marys in Devon. His date of birth is 5 October 1887. His profession is a retired army captain.

He was a pre-war Commissioned Officer in the South Wales Borderers. He appears to have been promoted to Captain in 1915, would anyone happen to know when he was promoted? Although he was still with the South Wales Borderers, it appears that he subsequently served with the Grenadier Guards. (I found myself confused with the comments on the medal rolls.) He served postwar, so his file is not at Kew, and he appears on the discharge register with a P number of P152196

Would anyone be able to determine if he served with the Grenadier Guards, and when he would have retired from the army. He became a Second Lieutenant on 5 October 1910.

Thanks

Keith

This is him I suspect

London Gazette 1 Mar 1918 

FOOT GUARDS. G. Gds.—C'apt. W. Rawle resigns his commn. on account of ill-health caused by wounds, and is granted the hon. rank of Capt. 5th Mar. 1918.

Ah, so that would explain why I had trouble locating him in 1919, and confirms that he was indeed in the Grenadier Guards.

The mention of his late father adds some much needed genealogical info, too. 

Thanks for this.

Have now found time to look at Army Lists - the October 1917 list lists him under 5th Reserve Battalion.