Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment

Cpl C

Good afternoon,

Could any Royal Berkshire Regiment experts out there tell me whether service number 10532 is likely to indicate a pre-war regular?

Private Richard (Frank) Miller2nd Royal Berkshire Regiment no.10532 arrived in France 9th June 1915, and died of wounds on 28th September 1915, from wounds received 25th September 1915. He was born in 1896, the son of Henry and Emma Miller, born in Suffolk, lived in Lexden near Colchester Essex in 1911 and presumably moved to Old Windsor between 1911 and 1914, and joined in Reading, his Father Henry Miller (Charles Henry Austin Miller) rejoined his Old Regiment, 2nd Middlesex Regiment in Egham 1914 and was made Sergeant, his previous rank, the same day.

As the 2nd Royal Berkshire Regiment was in India when war was declared, not reaching England until 22nd October, it suggests to me that Richard (Frank) joined them maybe because his Brother Thomas B Miller was already serving with the Regiment - as presumably he was too young to have been a reservist?

Richard had Brothers in other Regiment's, Alphonso George Miller Royal Garrison Artillery and Royal Engineers, Albert Charles Miller unsure of Regiment, and Thomas Bertie miller who allegedly saw him fall on the 25th of September, so could only have served with 2nd Royal Berkshire Regiment, Rifle Brigade or I think 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment or attached Personnel, but can not find him anywhere.

Any help with the Brother's would also be gratefully received

Regards

Cpl C

• Admin

Looking at Paul Nixons   site  Army Service Numbers 1881-1918, it says that #10151 joined 21/3/14. 

Michelle