Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to help a friend

Allan1892

I am trying to help a friend on her research for her husband's grandfather. Unfortunately (like so many) his service record no longer exists. I have the following details from his medal card and rolls:

PIPE, Frederick

The Queen's Regiment ---- Private 14749

Royal Fusiliers ---- Private S/61075

Army Ordnance Corps ---- Private 040349

As he did not receive the 1914 or 1915 Star, he must have enlisted some time after 1.1.1916 - my questions are:

• Can anyone give me an approximate date of him joining the Queen's Regiment by using his service number?

• Like wise, can anyone come up with an approximate date for his transfer to the Royal Fusiliers? (I know from correspondence to him that was dated 22/1/1917 that he was in 'B' Company of the 7th Royal Fusiliers).

• He was invalided back to the UK (possibly to a hospital in Salford) and then to Tipperary for convalescence. Is there any records that I could track down for more information?

• Anyone able to come up with an approximate date of his transfer to the AOC?

Thanks in advance.

Allan, it would be useful to know his age to avoid idiot results ! Also where was he from ?

Similar Service numbers with surviving records, men had attested early 1916, posted from various Bns to Training Reserve Bns in UK then:

Hurwood E,  disembarked France 4/11/16, to 38 IBD 5/11/16, to 8th Queens (14730) 5/11/16, to 7th R Fusiliers (G/61058) 16/11/16.

Pipe F,                                                                                                Queens (14749)                    7th R Fus           61075

Vincent F,  embarked/disembarked 4/11/16, to 38 IBD 5/11/16, to 8th Queens (14766)  5/11/16, to 7th R Fusiliers (G/61091) 16/11/16.

I think you will find that these were his initial moves abroad. Thereafter they followed different paths depending on wounding, sickness or whatever.  Here is a typical service record extract: that I think you would see duplicated in Pipe's record had it survived.  Thus the 'Queens' was an 11 day wonder ! That probably all passed at 38 IBD.

688503883_GWFPipeFQueensPosstrfs.JPG.adaa6bad82f9c40b3a552807633603d1.JPG

courtesy FindmyPast

I suspect the S is probably a G on the RF Service Number ?

Army Ordnance Corps.

040340 was issued to Joseph Armstrong on 22/3/18 upon compulsory trf to AOC  (as was 040380)

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

the War Diary for 38 IBD is one of the few IBD Diaries that survive. By Nov 1916 I think it was just statistics rather than names but worth a look here at DNA. Currently free to download if you register.

charlie

Small point and maybe not relevant here.

The 14-15 Star was awarded if the date of disembarkation in a theatre of war was before 1st Jan 1916. It was not awarded according to date of attestation.

You could have signed up on 4/8/1914 but not be posted to a theatre of war until 1916, thus missing out on a star.

7 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

You could have signed up on 4/8/1914 but not be posted to a theatre of war until 1916, thus missing out on a star.

Yes. As many did - eg the Accrington Pals who were very resentful at not getting the star!

11 hours ago, charlie962 said:

War Diary for 38 IBD

The 38 IBD Diary , which I'd downloaded already, shows the departure on 17/11/16 of a Draft of 47+75 = 122 ORs to 7th Royal Fusiliers.

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Small point and maybe not relevant here.

The 14-15 Star was awarded if the date of disembarkation in a theatre of war was before 1st Jan 1916. It was not awarded according to date of attestation.

Yes, I should have remembered this simple point - thank you for remembering me.

Cheers

Charlie -- he was born in Hertfordshire in October 1881 -- I think from your first posting that you have answered my query. I have looked at the records that you came up with and both Hurwood and Vincent enlisted on 28/6/1916 -- gives a good indication for my man. Also Vincent received treatment at 2nd Western General Military Hospital, Salford and then convalesced at Command Depot, Tipperary -- compares with my man.

Have being trying your link to the National Archives to download the war diaries but have trouble accessing the site -- will have try tomorrow.

Do you know if any registers exist for hospital admissions at the 2nd Western GMH?

Allan

I am trying to find where the 7th battalion Royal Fusiliers were from November 1916 to end of 1917. Do the war diaries exist<

Horatio2, thank you once again for pointing me in the right direction. I have picked up where 'my man' was drafted in on the 17th November 1916.

Allan