The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

18 pounder transport plug

ZIL

I have in my possession what is described as an 18 pounder transport plug.i believe it fits a high explosive shell..the thread diameter of the plug being 50mm.The following are markings on the plug....verification or otherwise would be appreciated.Regards Zil

AE9F6E35-CF24-40F1-ACA1-354A5AB69ABE.jpeg

CAE525BF-51EF-4592-A418-AE18D048F298.jpeg

CF4E2046-7C51-4397-A1FD-9381D48C4564.jpeg

27AB6E40-9F76-4B15-95BB-AF6825D85897.jpeg

Hello, Zil - Based upon size and weight, I consider these transport plugs to be for British shells larger than 18pdr field guns.  I have found them in what I thought was a 6-in or 8-in howitzer position.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure that other forum members will correct me.  Regards, Torrey

Thanks Torrey,

I have an inert shrapnel shell and fuze. ..18lb...the thread size is bigger...I ‘thought’ a impact fuze for an 18 lb  had a 50mm thread but I stand corrected.This is  a new area to me..like you say...there are forum members with knowledge on this subject.Regards Zil

It is a combination of a Plug, Fuze-Hole, Special, No.1 MkIII (made by Howard and Bullough Ltd, Accrington) in an Adapter, 2-inch Fuze-Hole, No.2 MkII (made by Evered and Co., Smethwick). 

The adapter enabled a fuze with tapered GS thread, such as a No.45, to be used in a shell with 2-inch fuze-hole thread.

Thank you 14276265,

That is a most comprehensive reply...as I have said this is a new area to me...do you know of any diagrams/photographs showing this as you describe?

This has really intrigued me!!!!

regards Zil

Thanks again 14276265,

After rereading your reply and examining the item....the resulting photo is self explanatory...for me discovery and understanding.But what calibre shells would this have fitted.

Regards Zil

E2A9CD92-86AF-417C-85AB-C095859917EE.jpeg

The adapter was used in various HE, chemical, and smoke shell from 3.7-inch and 18-pr up to 12-inch. Most WWI era Land Service British shell were made with 2-inch gauge fuze holes, and HE shell could either take a graze fuze of the No.100 series of 2-inch gauge, or a direct action fuze such as the No.17 or No.44 of General Service 1-inch gauge with the adapter.

Thanks once again 14276265,

Really appreciated ....I and I am sure others on the Forum now have a better understanding...indeed insight..into the complexity of such items.

It came apart so easily after all years.

regards Zil