Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd reinforcements 10th Battalion AIF

tamiwell

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out if the 3rd reinforcements were part of the original Gallipoli landing of the 10th Battalion....

I read that they arrived in Egypt just before the 'Australians left for Gallipoli' but I'm not sure if they were included in the first wave of attack that day, does anyone know?  They left on the RUNIC from Melbourne on the 19th Feb 1915.

Thanks

Hi Tami, 3rd Rfts of 10th Battalion appear to have been taken on strength (TOS) at Anzac on 3 May 1915.

Correction: I just checked a few of the individual files and this seems to more often be 7 May. I'll check a few more.

Edited by Bryn

Yes!  I've just seen that it appears he was taken on strength 7th May 1915, I guess their reinforcements arrived just a fraction too late to be involved in the initial landing.  Thanks!

Eight members of 3rd Rfts were killed at Gallipoi. All had 7 May as date TOS.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3rd Reinforcement groups arrived in Egypt late in March 1915. 

The main body (original battalions with 1st/2nd reinforcements) left Egypt only about a week later on 5th April 1915 and travelled to the island of Lemnos for further training before the landing on 25 April.

After training in Egypt, the 3rd Reinforcements left Egypt in early May, spending only a couple of days at Lemnos before being disembarked at Gallipoli on 7th May, 1915.

So, no the 3rd Reinforcements weren't at the landing however they arrived at Gallipoli 2-3 weeks later.

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited by Auimfo