Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme 1916

armourersergeant

Just aquick background question.

Can anybody help me with an answer regarding the 1st july attack at Gommecourt 1916. It was supposed to be a diversionary attack that in part worked and then for reasons unknown to me but of which i can guess it was attempted to be pushed home. But what i am after is this, Was any ground actually gained or was it relinguished the next day. Also once the initial attack failed did all attacks cease or did they fight on for days/weeks etc.

Ta

Arm.

The 56th London Divison achieved most of their objectives, but the 46th North Midlands were cut down in NML - General Hull commanding the 56th felt that he had achieved his objective in getting as many Germans as possible to shoot at his formation - but as we know, the sacrifice there did not affect the outcome of the fighting further south.

By the end of the day both units were back in their trenches and there was no further fighting at Gommecourt until the Germans withdrew in 1917 - and then it was abandoned without a fight.

I am afraid that the 56th Division and its famous London battalions did not hold out to the next day- except perhaps some few isolated men. Last reinforcements got thru at 9am or so . Parts of the German second line were taken. Counter attacks , vicious bombing exchanges and artillery fire led to the last costly withdrawal at 930PM.

Worse story with the 46th Division (Staffords, Sherwoods, Leicesters) on the North side of Gommecourt.

I don't think any further significant attacks were made in this area.

The attack was designed to divert artillery fire away from the 31st Division's attack on Serre. It's only other advantage was that it would straighten the line by removing a German salient around Gommecourt village, Park and Wood (which, btw, included the most westerly point of the German line in July 1916, the Kaiser's Oak in Gommecourt Park). The early collapse of the attack on Serre meant that the German artillery around Pisieux was added to the already reinforced artillery behind Gommecourt and that of the Division to the north. This fire was brought down on the British front line trenches and NML and, in the case of the 56th Division's attack, on the German front line most of which was taken within the first few minutes. The 46th Division's attack collapsed almost immediately and attempts to renew the attack were repeatedly cancelled. The failure of this attack led to the only Court of Inquiry into the performance of any unit on 1st July 1916 and the Divisional CO, Maj Gen Montagau-Stuart-Wortley, was removed, from command. He spent many years after the war trying to clear his name. A few men made it into the German lines but 91st RIR reports stated that they had complete control over their trenches by noon.

Gallant attempts to reinforce the men of the 168th and 169th Brigades were made throughout the day but, without effective artillery support this proved impossible (the heavies were bombarding the rear lines and requests to bring them back were refused; the field artillery did try to support but confusion about which trenches were occupied by who and multiple equipment failures made this ineffective). Men of the 169th Brigade (London Rifle Brigade, Queen's Westminster and Queen Victoria Rifles) were the last to leave the German trenches some 14 hours after going over the top.

Reported casualties on the day for the 56th Division were: 347 killed, 2243 wounded & 1490 missing. Actual fatalities (inc. DoW on following days): 1828.