Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps Squadrons

stephen binks

Good Afternoon,

I am researching the service of Private John Parry Jones (R4/089184) Army Service Corps. The local newspaper (Old Colwyn) carried a list of men from the village that had enlisted. John was listed as: "Trooper J. P. Jones, A.S.C, K.C. Squadron"

Anybody know what K.C squadron designates?

Thank you

Stephen Binks

The only thing that would fit is a TF unit, Kent County, which was a part of the Home Counties Divisional Supply Column.  The Kent County unit was a Brigade Supply Company: https://www.steppingforwardlondon.org/army-service-corpsroyal-army-service-corps-royal-corps-of-transportroyal-logistic-corps-units.html

A column consisted of four companies: a headquarters company (for the division HQ) and one attached to each of the three infantry brigades that made up the division. 

The term Squadron was not standardised for the (R)ASC until between the wars.  Kent Brigade Company: Union Street, Maidstone, Kent.  The shoulder title was T-ASC-KENT in three tiers.

NB.  I recognise that this does not fit with Colwyn Bay, but once conscription began in 1916 men would be sent to whatever unit required replacements, although TF terms and conditions of service were observed for men who had voluntarily enlisted with them rather than being called up.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think that the only squadrons in the ASC in the Great War were Remount Squadrons, which handled the training and replacement of horses. This is consistent with the R4 prefix to his service number.

It is not at all uncommon for local newspapers to get small facts wrong, so I think that the K C is probably such a case.

Ron

5 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think that the only squadrons in the ASC in the Great War were Remount Squadrons, which handled the training and replacement of horses. This is consistent with the R4 prefix to his service number.

It is not at all uncommon for local newspapers to get small facts wrong, so I think that the K C is probably such a case.

Ron

That would certainly sit better with the Colwyn Bay link, Ron.  I did consider an error, but to get both letters wrong rather than one seemed a bit more of a stretch.

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Agree - R4 was 4th Army remounts. There was remount depot in Shrewsbury, where he enlisted.

23 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Such as there not being the rank of Trooper in the ASC.

And IIRC remount squadrons were numbered, not lettered.

Seems like they've mangled a cavalry unit with the ASC.

Cheers,

GT.

21 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

Agree - R4 was 4th Army remounts. There was remount depot in Shrewsbury, where he enlisted.

Such as there not being the rank of Trooper in the ASC.

And IIRC remount squadrons were numbered, not lettered.

Seems like they've mangled a cavalry unit with the ASC.

Cheers,

GT.

I suspect that he might have served with both, the ASC and the King’s Colonials (a yeomanry unit), which latter comprised squadrons and probably used the Trooper designation before it was officially approved: https://www.kingscolonials.com

AD699E23-CAC3-4214-A7F3-C9F284F10C67.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Remount station at Kettering depot in the newspapers

Dave

Very grateful to the depth of knowledge of all those members that responded. Ironic if it is a newspaper typo as for ten years we had been searching for "J.R. Jones" and not J.P.Jones!!

Thanks again

Stephen Binks