Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Magdalen Hospital?

tamiwell

Hello, 

Can anyone tell me anything about the 'Magdalen' Hospital recorded in my soldiers notes as the place he was admitted to with a fractured ankle in 1916?  It appears to have been in the UK but I can't find anything online about it.  It's a bit of a strange entry as he hadn't even left the UK when the injury occurred so I'm presuming it might have happened in a training accident or something...also he didn't rejoin his unit for 6 months, that seems a little long to be in hospital with a fractured ankle...

His name was Stanley Roy McLaren 22349 Australian, Driver in the 7th Field Artillery Brigade.

Thanks,

Tamara

Stanley hospital admissions.jpg

It might be this one, mentioned in the Long, Long Trail section of this website:

"Magdalen Camp (Winchester). A hospital established at an army base. 252 beds."

If the fractured ankle was what was keeping him from service I would have expected the form to read injured rather than sick.

I suppose it's possible that he was ill with something unmentionable, but the armed forces weren't coy, and I'd expect it to have been named ...

4 hours ago, tamiwell said:

...also he didn't rejoin his unit for 6 months, that seems a little long to be in hospital with a fractured ankle...

If this casualty is actually for him, he wasn’t in hospital for 6 months.  He couldn’t have been admitted on the 21/4/1916 because he was still in Australia.  He embarked in Melbourne on the HMAT A7 Medic on the 20/5/1916 and arrived Plymouth on the 18/7/1916.

It’s either the wrong date or entered on the wrong soldier’s file (not an uncommon occurrence!)

Cheers, Frev

Oh of course yes!  He left in May 1916 that is weird then....it must be the wrong entry surely, the whole thing doesn't make sense with timing or length of stay.  I noticed also that the last page of his service record (which normally repeats all the major admissions or injuries) doesn't have any mention at all of a #ankle.  I think I'll leave that part out of his biography to be safe.  Thanks!