Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bugler rank?

PFF

PFF

Bugler was an appointment not a rank. Only Rifle and Light infantry had Buglers.

The remainder of the infantry had the appointment of Drummer.

A Rifle or Light infantry regiment was only allowed 16 official Buglers but could have as many Privates as the CO would allow, officially they were not Buglers even though the played the Bugle.

A Bugler was always considered senior to a private soldier, However in the Rifle Brigade all Buglers were considered Riflemen.

Traditionally the CO's Bugler ( the best bugler in the Battalion) was considered the senior Pte or Rfn (L/C, Cpl depending on his rank) in the Battalion.

Arnie

In past times, "rank and file" comprised corporals and below, and excluded drummers, buglers etc, who were listed separately; also excluded sergeants, warrant officers and officers of course.

Are we talking about "trumpeters"? My grandfather started his TF career in the Bute Mountain Battery, RGA, TF, in 1910 as a trumpeter. The Bute Mountain Battery War Diary, on 31 Jan 1917 in Appendix I, lists an "Extract from War Office Letter 121/Mediterranean/1094 (M) dated 19 August, 1916", which still liststheir entire authorized extablishment. There, between "Fitters or Wheelers" and "Corporals" are two Trumpeters as a separate rank/trade. I'm sure the job was the same as a Bugler, but, for some reason, they were called Trumpeters. (My grandfather, commissioned by this time, always preferred a Cornet anyway!)

Mike Morrison

CSMMo

Yes I believe that Trumpeters were in the same category as buglers Drummers and Pipers. They had a lower establishment than Buglers which I think was 12.

Arnie