Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with signature please. - Rawtenstall Man.

GWF1967

Hi, 

can anyone decipher the signature on this postcard please?  I moistened and removed enough sugar paper to work out the address, 39 Ormerod Street, Rawtenstall, Lancs.  Unfortunately C.1911 has a John L. Farnsworth living at this address, the signature looks nothing like that; not that I could tell you what it does look like. 

Lt. W.G.C. Gladstone R.W.F Text (2).jpg

Lt. W.G.C. Gladstone R.W.F Text (3).jpg

• Admin

A Wheilton 

/Wheelton 

Possible Alfred Wheelton, born 1st Qtr 1897 at Burnley?

BillyH.

21 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

There are probably experts from Rawtenstall on here who can give you chapter and verse:

It seems that medics only possess the ability to write illegibly.  What we need here is a pharmacist.

50 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

A Wheilton 

/Wheelton 

24 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Looks like Wheelton to me. Lots online about the surname.

Many thanks, I can see clearly now!

15 minutes ago, IPT said:

It seems that medics only possess the ability to write illegibly.  What we need here is a pharmacist.

:D  

27 minutes ago, IPT said:

It seems that medics only possess the ability to write illegibly.

It's a gift.

On the 1911 census were John Lawrence and Jane Farnworth who had been living at 39 Ormerod Street for at least ten years. They had a daughter, Margaret Ellen, born c1901, but I don't think she's on the 1911 census and may not have still been alive.

Can any forum sleuth track her?

Edited by IPT
words etc

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

It's a gift.

Write it in Welsh, that'll teach them not to laugh!

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:
Deaths Dec 1901   (>99%)
Farnworth  Margaret Ellen  0  Haslingden  8e 71  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

I feared as much, but the Maggie connection seemed too much of a coincidence. A brother, (twin?), James was baptised on the same day in 1901, but, by the time of the 1911 census, there was only a one year old daughter.

8 minutes ago, IPT said:

I feared as much, but the Maggie connection seemed too much of a coincidence. A brother, (twin?), James was baptised on the same day in 1901, but, by the time of the 1911 census, there was only a one year old daughter.

Deaths Dec 1901   (>99%)
Farnworth  James  0  Haslingden  8e 70  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Certainly looks like Wheelton to me.  Ormerod Street is still standing - just off Bank Street and near a cracking little micro-pub.  Once the Library opens for business I'll take a look and see what I can dig up in the local "not online" paperwork. 

The period use of "With best love from your sincere friend" suggests to me that A. Wheelton may be female.   Jackie/Jacqueline and Maggie/Margaret are good follow up clues. 

Any image on the front of the card ? ..... and any specific reason we are focussing on around 1911 .... the attached dosn't show a date?

The exotically named Lord Baron, of 39 Ormerod Street, died 10/3/1916. Administration to Emma Grime (wife of Joe Grime). Oddly, the probate wasn't until 1934. The beneficiary was Maria Jane Baron.

The family in 1911;

Lord Baron    Head    Male    44    Accrington, Lancashire
Maria Jane Baron    Wife    Female    45    Accrington, Lancashire
Emma Baron    Daughter    Female    10    Accrington, Lancashire
Bertha Baron    Daughter    Female    6    Accrington, Lancashire

Can't see that this gets us anywhere...

There was an Ada Wheelton, born in Wilmslow, Cheshire c1875, who appears in Ormerod Street in both 1901 and 1911 as a servant to Joseph Holt.

20 hours ago, IPT said:

The exotically named Lord Baron, of 39 Ormerod Street, died 10/3/1916. Administration to Emma Grime (wife of Joe Grime). Oddly, the probate wasn't until 1934. The beneficiary was Maria Jane Baron.

The family in 1911;

Lord Baron    Head    Male    44    Accrington, Lancashire
Maria Jane Baron    Wife    Female    45    Accrington, Lancashire
Emma Baron    Daughter    Female    10    Accrington, Lancashire
Bertha Baron    Daughter    Female    6    Accrington, Lancashire

Can't see that this gets us anywhere...

"Can't see that this gets us anywhere..."   ....... maybe but it dosn't but it's a great story - Lord Baron of Ormerod Street - what a handle. There are also several "Doctor"s in the area.  This was apparently the forename given to the seventh son of a seventh son and associated with the possibility of psychic healing powers rather than any connection to practical medicine.  A local example is 5425 Private Doctor Pickup of the Lancashire Fusiliers

19 hours ago, IPT said:

There was an Ada Wheelton, born in Wilmslow, Cheshire c1875, who appears in Ormerod Street in both 1901 and 1911 as a servant to Joseph Holt.

....... now that sounds very much like a possibility.  24 - 39> Ormerod Street appear to have been demolished in the 1960's .......

Rawtenstall 023 - Ormerod Street 1960s

Photo: Peter Fisher 

Edited by TullochArd