Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers questions

PFF

What is the story behind the Insignia of the Bursting Bomb of the 7th Royal Fusiliers?

Did this unit have a regimental Motto/mascot during World War I?

Because of WOrld War I the pre war 7th R.F. Battalions had to be expaned from the

prewar battalion number to three times as much. Could men of the ad hoc battalions (Raised for the War service) wear the same dress uniform as pre war battalions?

What is the story behind the Insignia of the Bursting Bomb of the 7th Royal Fusiliers? -snip- Could men of the ad hoc battalions (Raised for the War service) wear the same dress uniform as pre war battalions?

I think (I'm sure someone will correct me ASAP if I'm wrong) that the cap badge is a grenade with the fuse lit.

I also don't believe that Service Bns had a dress uniform as they were only raised top fight so didn't require to be all poshed up.

As PFF has kindly started a thread for RF questions, can anyone tell me what 52ndYSRF is please?

it comes from the additional information in SDGW for:

Private LEONARD STEPHEN SADGROVE

G/87275, 23rd Bn., Royal Fusiliers

who died age 18 on 07 September 1918

Son of James Henry and Louisa Blanche Sadgrove, of 24, Brandram Rd., Lewisham, London.

SANDERS KEEP MILITARY CEMETERY, GRAINCOURT-LES-HAVRINCOURT I. E. 8.

Formerly TR/LON/63997 52ndYSRF; b.Greenwich; enl. Camberwell res. Lee, Kent

Kate - 52nd Young Soldiers Battalion Royal Fusiliers, which was formed in February 1918 and was based at Newmarket. It was effectively a training battalion for conscripts.

What is the story behind the Insignia of the Bursting Bomb of the 7th Royal Fusiliers?

Did this unit have a regimental Motto/mascot during World War I?

Because of WOrld War I the pre war 7th R.F. Battalions had to be expaned from the

prewar battalion number to three times as much. Could men of the ad hoc battalions (Raised for the War service) wear the same dress uniform as pre war battalions?

As mentioned above, the badge symbolises a flaming grenade.

In 1914 the Regiment had four regular battalions and three reserve.

Dress uniform was rarely issued to war-time raised units.

For a bit more on the RF battalions in WW1 see:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/regiment013.htm

Thankyou for the speedy response Paul.

Would TR/LON mean Training Regiment recruited from London area, who were then dispersed to whichever unit had gaps to fill? Would they have tended to go to the RF, or could any preferences be entertained?

Also, I have a couple of men with PS as a prefix. Does this indicate Public School education?

The TR/LON/ prefix indicates a soldier who enlisted into a Training Reserve Battalion in the London recruiting area. Probably in one of the Royal Fusilier TR battalion - of which there were quite a few. Thus he has been conscripted into a TR Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, transferred to the 52nd YS Battalion and then posted to a battalion of the Regiment overseas when he was old enough for active service. A common route in the last year of the war.

The PS prefix means they enlisted in the Public Schools battalions; this did not necessarily indicate a 'Public School' education. I have researched many men with this prefix who had no such schooling.

Could men of the ad hoc battalions (Raised for the War service)  wear the same dress uniform as pre war battalions?

PFF,

Army Order 292 of August 1914 mandated the Army to only wear Service Dress, or Khaki Drill, for all occasions. This excepted the Guards and certain other formations, but after August 1914 few units wore Dress uniforms any more including pre-War regulars. Those uniforms went into storage or home. Existing examples tend to be fairly common and in good shape. This order de facto set the standard for the British Army (unintentially) into the postwar years to.

The real exception to this was that it was fairly common before Service Dress was available to issue the Dress Tunics from stockage for the newly raised Service Battalions. Doubt if any major attempt was made to match Regimental distinctions with battalion. The was strictly a stopgap measure and was worn next to Kitchner blue uniforms and civilian cloths before SD became available. The hodgepodge uniforms were withdrawn once the SD became available.

Joe Sweeney