Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo request

James Brown

Can anyone help?

I am looking for a picture of the memorial at Archangel Allied cemetery in the Russian Federation. I have researched a relative of mine, and it has just struck me that I have never seen the memorial where he is remembered. I know it would be difficult for me to get there and do it for myself. :(

His details are as follows

John S. Brown

Private

2nd/10th Bn. Territorial., Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) (Cyclist Battalion)

Killed in Action on Sunday the 13th of October 1918.

I have sourced an account of the action when he was KIA, but a photograph of the memorial would be nice. Been to CWGC website and their Cemetery photos have come up nil.

Thank You

James Brown

Is there a memorial at Archangel?

Has anyone seen a picture of the memorial in a book?

Thanks

James

Hi James

A photograph of this memorial would not be apparent from web/book resources. I suggest you contact CWGC direct for their advice. There will be a photgraph somewhere.

Roop

Thanks for that Roop. Appreciate the reply.

I know it is a place that's not frequented by the tourist trade, so the forum was my best bet. I will now contact the CWGC.

Regards

James

The Archangel Memorial takes the form of plaques fixed to the wall of Archangel Allied Cemetery as below...

Not quite visible in this picture but you get the idea of the layout.

post-19-1109377928.jpg

Thanks Terry

The picture of the Archangel Cemetery is the first one I have ever seen. I can make out the Memorial Plaques in the distance running along the face of the wall.

I don't know if I would ever be able to visit a place like this. So to see it here in the Forum has made my day. I'm really gratefull for the time you took to post this Terry, Thnk You.

John S Brown was my G/Grandfathers brother, so when I came across the name while researching the Rankinston Memorial, and discovered that he died in Russia, was ab bit of blow to me. I did'nt have a clue where to start untill I was told about a book that gave a good description of the campaign. That book was called The Midnight War by Richard Goldhurst. While reading the book it gives an account of the date when John Brown died, the number of casaulties, and a version of events.

Thank You Terry

James

:rolleyes:

James

I also have a relative (my grandmothers brother) who died in Russia he was Harry Jackson and he went to Russia with the Russian Relief Force and died aged 19 on the 10 August 1919 and is buried in a place called Troitza Chyd which is about 150 miles from Archangel.

Do you know where your relative is buried?

I also have a book called Intervention In Russia 1918-1920 written by Miles Hudson. It is a collection of letters and diarys from soldiers who were in Russia also there is a few photo`s one of the photo`s is the soldiers marching through Archangel there are also maps.

Archangel is decribed as a horrible dirty dump.

If you dont want to buy the book i could scan the pictures into my computor and e.mail them to you if you like

Susan xxx Ps excuse any spelling mistakes (spelling not good)

Susan, I don't know where his burial could be. It's possible that he has no known grave, as there are over 200 men commemorated on the plaques, the same.

Thanks for the offer of the scans. Do they show dates as well?

Look forward to that.

Thank You

James