The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Russian Labour corps first world war

Hello. I have been look8ng 8nto my family history. My Great Granfather was Martin Gottard Woldemar Kapitzin. We know nothing of him but for what I have found. Records show he joined tge Russian Labour corps in 1918 and had a serious accident in a munitions gas works. We have found nothing since . Is there any way to get copies of the paperwork I have seen online or imformation 9n him? Many thanks for any help.

Welcome Michelle.

The detail you give suggests you are looking at the record on Ancestry.  You can download each page one at a time by clicking the Save button top left of the page.  If you have queries about the record, fire away.

Max

A brief outline:

He joined the 9th Battalion Labour Corps which was one of two Labour Corps units formed in April 1918 in UK which would be made up of Russian recruits.  He was in 1022 Company in that battalion from 7 August 1918 working in Pembroke Dock where he was treated in hospital after the accident.  He remained in England on the books of 9 Battalion when his company went to France in December 1918.  The unit did not keep a war diary and records of their doings are sparse to non-existent.

Max

Ancestry has his wife Martha, remarrying in 1931, would be possible that Martin died between 1918 and 1931 if this helps narrow your search.