Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pinboard

Private Roger Pinkard DM2/171664 - ASC Mechanical Transport Learner. He served for the duration of the war but his record no longer exists. I have no information relating to a Company and although he survived the war (albeit with malaria) family recollection is scant. However, his brother (my late grandfather) had a few photographs including these two. There are a couple of others showing camps in Chandigarh which may or may not be related.  Can anyone tell me anything about possible postings from these images?   All information received with gratitude and interest!

1810436477_RogerPinkardmotorbikeIndiaquery.jpg.c7c235ac7b7e64b570314833a04b2209.jpg

1428849888_RogerPinkardinuniform.jpg.f382e20c29a5252d3f0782bbeeb0a66c.jpg

On his medal roll he has British War Medal and Victory medal, which indicates he must have served in a theatre of war. Those serving only in India only qualified for a BWM only.

Numbers above and below him have silver war badges so picking up enlistment dates, so likely enlisted on one of these days.

DM2/171662 on 12th December 1915

DM2/171665 on 13th December 1915

1 minute ago, pinboard said:

That's helpful, thank you.  I had a note to check India service medal qualifications but no need now 

He did not enlist early enough for a 1915 Star which would give a date of entry and theatre. His pension card gives his discharge date as 18th October 1919 indicating being further afield at the time. He does not have a Indian General Service Medal (from 3rd Afghan war). Chandigarh not being in the conflict area. He may have contracted malaria in India, but possibly been in Mesopotamia previously. Any other photos may give more clues.

Dug out the two photographs of Chandigarh and realised writing on reverse has a date: 24 Feb 1917 so that's definitely a clue. Also attached are two other images of Roger but no date or studio name. 

Arriving Chandigarh Camp 24 Feb 1917.jpg

Chandigarh Camp from hill 24 Feb 1917.jpg

Roger Pinkard third from left.jpg

Roger Pinkard.jpg