Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confusing Map References

Buffnut453

I found a few aerial reconnaissance images for sale but am struggling to find the locations.  One of the images has the following annotations:

The top of the image has the following:

A.3.AE.0.9.

57B 14-10-18-11 (not 100% sure about the "B" - it's written at a much smaller size than the rest of the text)

Three locations 

L.1 21d.75.95

W.21.a.30.65

W.20b.99.30

While these seem similar to standard British map references, particularly the latter portions (e.g. 21.a.30.65), they don't have all the necessary data elements.  

The date is given as 14 Oct 1918 and the location is given as the "Aisne Front, Selle".  Can anyone help me work out where these locations might be? 

Many thanks,
Mark

Hi Gus1914,

Thanks for the pointer which helped me interpret the coordinates more accurately.  I'm more accustomed to seeing the entire map reference in a single stream rather than split up in different annotations.  You were correct that Map 57b SE was the right trench map.  The photo does clearly show the railway line passing through a cutting in between the 2 locations identified.  

Cheers,
Mark

Does that only leave the odd L.1 21d.75.95 to be determined?

TEW

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

Does that only leave the odd L.1 21d.75.95 to be determined?

TEW

That appears to be W.21.d.75.95.  It certainly matches the features at that location on the trench map.  I'm not sure why the annotation has "L.1".  Perhaps it was in error or maybe it was something of significance to the recipients of the image.  

Pleased it's all sorted Buffnut... I was going to suggest treat the 3rd reference L.1 as a W and see if things align with the Trench Map...