Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Technical Department - Gun Ammunition Filling - Ministry of Munitions

RedCoat

Hi all

In January 1916 my Great Grandfather, at that time a regular Artillery Captain, was posted to the Ministry of Munitions Gun Ammunition Filling Technical Department. He remained there until June 1918.

According to the Official History of the MoM –

“The work of the technical section included a close examination of empty components in order to prevent rejections after filling, careful examination of filling methods and of designs for the same purpose, measures to secure changes in design in order to economise labour and material, changes in the standard of inspection to facilitate the use of serviceable material and a comparison of all processes with a view to saving labour, money and materials.”

The importance of the work carried out by the Gun Ammunition Filling Technical Department should not be underestimated. As I understand it, by the end of the First World War the British had fired over 170,000,000 artillery rounds and it was the work of this Department and others like it that made it possible. The changes they made to the design and production of shells would had made a significant impact on the positive outcome of the war.

I would love to know more about my Great Grandfathers time in the Technical Department, so if anyone knows of any documents or archives dedicated to them I would be very grateful.

Kind regards

J

Edited by RedCoat

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the department was based at Woolwich, alongside various associated departments and close by the Royal Arsenal.