Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bookmarking a war diary

BIFFO

I am transcribing a mixed brigade  war diary,some pages are rubbish ,nearly the same diary has bits on Ancestry,any gwf know how to book mark a page on ancestry wd,otherwise I am shunting through all the pages until I get to the one I left :wub:

If you're transcribing into a word.docx I would either just make a note of the ancestry page EG 234/789. You could add a bookmark to your browser for the start of the brigade diary.

Or (slightly more techy) copy the ancestry URL for the next page you want to transcrib and then create a hyperlink note in the word.docx.

Typing that makes it sound complicated but basically you're creatinf a direct link.

If I'm doing any transcribing, when I've had enough I'll add note to self that says;

START NEXT AT PAGE 148.

It's a simply process to Create a Start Here note that is in itself a link to the start point.

Copy the URL from browser address bar.

Write and highlight the Start Here text.

Right click mouse and chose Hyperlink or from insert menu?

Paste the url into the address box.

TEW

Oh I say Tim that sounds WAY BEYOND me,as you say I will make a not of the page ,open up the film thingy  and scoot to noted page,I know it sounds a bit daft but I download several pages to my m/c,then write down in a language I understand,then type  out,basically doing it twice,takes a while but works for me,any way still on lock-down,still shielded,still vulnerable still NOT listening to BS:whistle:  

thank you for taking the trouble

Biffo