Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Niven, Pte., 4232, 8 Northumberland Fusiliers: Is he on a war memorial somewhere in England?

rolt968

Is James Niven, 4232, 8 Northumberland Fusiliers on a War Memorial or Roll of Honour which you know? Most probably in England.

(I know he is on the War Memorial and Roll of Honour for Oathlaw in Angus (both now in Tannadice Church), which was where his family lived.)

In 1914 he was living in England and probably had been for some time.

It is most likely that he was living in the Newcastle area. He enlisted in North Shields. At the time of the 1901 Census he was living in Elswick and working as draper.

However at the time of the 1911 Census he was boarding in Gloucester and working as tailor's (tailors'?) traveller.

Then there's the mystery. He made a soldier's will leaving everything to his friend, Miss Lily Welton, High Street, Wangford, Suffolk. (If I've got the right lady she was a schoolmistress in her late thirties.)

His war service was sadly short. he died of the hospital ship Delta on 19 August 1915.

RM

Edited by rolt968

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The NEWMP has pretty much covered all our local war memorials and I can't see him on that.

Craig

Many thanks, Craig.

(That's a very useful website.)

RM