Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aquitania

SandraB

Hello there

All I know about the liner Aquitania is that she was built in 1914 and used in 1915 to ship troops from England to Gallipoli. I understand she survived the Great War and what happened afterwards, does she still exist (I very much doubt). Any information would be useful.

Thank you

Hi

Part of the old Aquitania still exsists in the form of the panelling in the Aquitania Bar of the Parkbury Hotel Sandown, Isle of Wight. Which was taken from one of her state rooms. I believe they have a web site, but I don't know how to do the active link.

My great uncle Carl Maier was a gardener on the Aquitania and made the round trip to New York many times in the 1920s.

post-24-1108770747.jpg

Hello T8HANTS

I've found a web site for the Parkbury Hotel complete with photograph of panelling. I'm not sure if it's been featured on a TV programme before, it seems to ring a bell but I can't think why!! Nice to think the Aquitania lives on.

Regards

Sandra

PS - Happy Birthday!!

Sandra

I found this card - it's not very clear, but gives an idea of conditions on the ship - I imagine that the men were happy to be transported on the Aquitania, Mauretania and Britannic if this was the standard of accommodation!

It's titled:

'The Lounge, "A" Deck, H.M. Hospital Ship "Aquitania", c. 1917'

Sue

The Church of Our Lady and St Nicholas, Pier Head, Liverpool (also known as Liverpool Parish Church)has a Mariner's Chapel in which is a Roll of Honour of Mariners lost at sea. It is in a case made of wood from the Aquitania.

Dave