Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yser tower, Dixsmude. Worth a visit?

mills-bomb

As it says on the tin.

If and when we can ‘get over’ again, whilst in the area (visiting the ‘trench of death’ just up the road). Is a visit to the Yser tower worthwhile?

Cheers in advance.

definitely!!

If you want to understand the question of the flemish, even more so... 

M.

It’s really good especially on a clear day

A warning, though: it is, as it says, a tower. Access is via a lift only, with return via the stairs. As a practising claustrophobe I appeared to have no access other than the lift so had to screw my courage to the wall and breathe deeply. If you don't like lifts, be prepared.

15 hours ago, Marilyne said:

definitely!!

If you want to understand the question of the flemish, even more so... 

M.

I'd certainly second that. I believe the RAF bombed the first tower during the Second World War so it was rebuilt, even bigger and better.

And always interesting exhibitions !

Concerning the demolition of the first tower: not an RAF bombing .After the Second world Warin june 1945 , during the anti-Flemish repression, an attempt to destroy the tower was made  by two young resistance men . The tower was damaged, but remained standing. At 2 o'clock in the morning of the 15th, on the 16th of march 1946, there was a much larger explosion (dynamite) which destoyed the tower.

kind regards,

Jef

Many thanks to all, anything else worthy of a visit close by?

4 hours ago, von Smallhausen said:

And always interesting exhibitions !

Concerning the demolition of the first tower: not an RAF bombing .After the Second world Warin june 1945 , during the anti-Flemish repression, an attempt to destroy the tower was made  by two young resistance men . The tower was damaged, but remained standing. At 2 o'clock in the morning of the 15th, on the 16th of march 1946, there was a much larger explosion (dynamite) which destoyed the tower.

kind regards,

Jef

I stand corrected: I was sure I'd read that the RAF did it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, mills-bomb said:

Many thanks to all, anything else worthy of a visit close by?

The German Cemetery at Vladso with 'The Grieving Parents' sculptures are only 10-15 mins drive away.