Pte Nicola Quaglieri

rmtruby

I’ve come across an interesting connection between Rome and the Black Country:

32054 Pte. Nicola Quaglieri

Born in Rome

Enlisted in Wolverhampton

Killed in action 16/05/1917

8th Service Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment

Can anyone fill me in on some extra details on this soldier?

Thanks

Ray

Hello

Have you tired the 1901 census? Cant be many of them....

Ian

I’ve come across an interesting connection between Rome and the Black Country:

32054 Pte. Nicola Quaglieri

Born in Rome

Enlisted in Wolverhampton

Killed in action 16/05/1917

8th Service Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment

Can anyone fill me in on some extra details on this soldier?

Thanks

Ray

Although it is an American resource you could try looking here:

http://www.cousinconnect.com/p/a/0/s/QUAGLIERI

American-Italians are the largest English speaking group of Italian origin, so it is always worth looking 'over the pond'. A lot of these people had one son go to England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland and others go to America, and so on.

Someone has mentioned the 1901 census, and he will be on it if he was resident in England at that time. There was also a lot of "chain migration" so you could pick up on members of his extended family.

It is possible that he did Military Service in the Italian Army before he came to England. If so, his "foglio" will still exist. This contains a lot of information on the man, his parents, his description etc etc. If you put the word "foglio" into the forum search engine you will find more information on this. The only problem is that you have to be a relation/have the consent of the next of kin in order to apply.

There were two main streams of Italian immigration into Britain in the pre WW1 period. The first group were the "Toscana", the Tuscans. Quaglieri did not come from that part of Italy.

The second group were the "Ciociari", which is a nickname given to the people from the area between Rome and Naples, centering on what is now the province of Frosinone. Although details say that Quaglieri was from Rome, and that is possible, it is more likely that he was from one of the towns between Cassino and Rome, but just said "Rome" to make things easier.

Hope this helps.

PS

I think his first name was possibly Nicolo not Nicola. Nicola is a girls name. If it ends in "O" it is a mans name - Antonio, Giulio, Gino etc. If it ends in "A" it is the feminine form - Antonia, Giulia, Gina :lol:

Brilliant information.

I must admit, I was also confused about the name "Nicola" with a feminine ending. However, this is what the CWGC website says:

Name: QUAGLIERI, NICOLA

Initials: N

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/05/1917

Service No: 32054

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 6.

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Thanks

Ray

Brilliant information.

I must admit, I was also confused about the name "Nicola" with a feminine ending.  However, this is what the CWGC website says:

Ray

You do not surprise me about the CWGC. They got their information from the Army, and the Army often messed up any "exotic" sort of name.

My great aunts brother was killed in WW1. The family had never had his medals, and my aunt, then in her 90s, decided she wanted them.

She wrote to the CWGC, who said they had no-one called "Marcella" listed as being killed in WW1. Luckily, she had a photo of her brother, which showed his shoulder title - "Rangers".

Following advice given by Paul Reed I looked through the "Rangers" section of "Soldiers Died" for unusual/similar names. I found the man, and claimed his medals for his sister. She had them for a year or two before she died. They are now being looked after by her son, which is fitting because he was named after his uncle, the dead soldier.

Click here for the "Army Way" :D of spelling Marcella:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/SearchRes...y&nationality=6

Click here for the "Army Way" of spelling Marcella:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/SearchRes...y&nationality=6

I thought that literacy was a prerequisite for a desk job.

robbie :huh:

Robbie

Well, normally literacy is a great help.

However, we are speaking about the army here! :D

I have seen documents in which the mans religion changed between issue. Fair enough, maybe he was converted.

I have also seen stuff where eyes change colour, and the mans height changed by 3 or 4 inches!

Beppo

As long as it's only height that changes by 3-4 inches! Roberto :lol:

PS. Sorry Ray for stealing the thread..back to Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Quaglieri.

I have also seen stuff where eyes change colour, and the mans height changed by 3 or 4 inches!

Example:

Gordon Edward Bostock's AB 64. 5 foot 2 with blue eyes

post-1-1108820841.jpg

Beppo,

On the first scan it says it is a replacement book. That could be where the records went awry. Alternatively, the food was so good that he grew 4".

Robbie :rolleyes:

Beppo,

On the first scan it says it is a replacement book. That could be where the records went awry. Alternatively, the food was so good that he grew 4".

Robbie  :rolleyes:

Robbie

I think that it was Gunner Bostock that went awry. I get the impression that he was "on the trot" and then captured by the MPs.

Even so, did he have his eyes closed and stand on some bricks when they wrote his details down for the replacement book?

I have always felt sorry for the man. I have his fathers book too. The father was in the Royal Artillery between 1924 and 1948 - 24 years and 283 days, including WW2. He ended up as a W.O.1.

Imagine having a father like that and having to go into the army "in his footsteps". Even though you might not have wanted anything to do with the services.

I know that the son was in the Regular Army, but a lot of men joined up for the minimum as regulars because they would have been conscripted anyway. You did an extra year, but got more pay etc. However, he has joined up for 22 years. I doubt that the food was the attraction! :D

I have always felt sorry for the man. I have his fathers book too. The father was in the Royal Artillery between 1924 and 1948 - 24 years and 283 days, including WW2. He ended up as a W.O.1.

Imagine having a father like that and having to go into the army "in his footsteps". Even though you might not have wanted anything to do with the services.

Yes, indeed, the poor fellow.

BTW: you must have a houseful of war memorabilia, have you?

Robbie

Yes, indeed, the poor fellow.

BTW: you must have a houseful of war memorabilia, have you?

Robbie

You know, that could have been my partner talking.

Except, she usually phrases it in another way - "What the hell do you want all this old junk for" :lol:

I hope you put her straight, then..you don't want to end up down the back garden in a shed.

Robbie :D

Alternatively, the food was so good that he grew 4".

Robbie :rolleyes:

I think that they did grow quite a bit in WW1, or so I read in "Deaths Men". However, this guy is from the 1950s and would have had the benefits of the Welfare State after a certain age.

Alternatively, the food was so good that he grew 4".

Robbie  :rolleyes:

I think that they did grow quite a bit in WW1, or so I read in "Deaths Men". However, this guy is from the 1950s and would have had the benefits of the Welfare State after a certain age.

But he was born in 1935 and did much of his growing during WW2, rations etc..

Now I'm being picky.. :P

Realised this is NOT logical. I needd to get back to work...

Ray

How badly do you want to find out more about Pte. Quaglieri?

I have just 'bumped to the top' a query about another WW1 Italian soldier. It gives some more details about where to look for information.

If it is not clearly visible by the time you read this just put "Abbro" into the forum search engine.

Hope this helps

Tony

• 1 month later...

Just to lett you know!

Nicola is correct in this case:in Italy we have some names that even if they end with A are male names,like Andrea and Nicola.You'll never find a woman called Nicola!So the informations you have correct!

Just to lett you know!

Nicola is correct in this case:in Italy we have some names that even if they end with A are male names,like Andrea and Nicola.You'll never find a woman called Nicola!So the informations you have correct!

Thanks for the correction Indy.

It is over 100 years since my family first left Italy hence my mistake.

Tony

Thanks for the correction Indy.

It is over 100 years since my family first left Italy hence my mistake.

Tony

That's a lot of time!! :o If any help is needed with italian in your research just ask!I'll glad to help!