The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Samuel Brooks

kev1874

Hello, 

I'm after a bit of help trying to trace Samuel's war service, he's my brother in laws Great grandad and all the family know is he said he served in Egypt as a driver of horse's pulling guns across the desert in the R.F.A. I've had a look and  I think I've found his MIC and rolls, his number is possibly 84704 landing Egypt 31.03.15 but theres no mention of a battery/brigade he served with and I'm wondering if any body can shed some light onto it from his number or landing date.

Thanks in advance

Kev

The Samuel Brooks with number 84704 was born in Wirksworth, Derbyshire. You can find a partial record of his war service under Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942, Findmypast, and his newer Army Number of 1013687. He was not finally discharged until 1933 and his full record is still held by the MOD.

Thanks David this is him, his daughter Marjorie is my brother in laws Nan

He used to say he was on a ship that was torpedoed off the coast of Greece sometime during the war and was rescued by a Dutch ship, he had a cousin who was serving with him that drowned in the incident but unfortunately nobody know the cousins name, is there any way to trace the ship and/or the cousins name?

cheers

Kev 

Edited by kev1874

I was looking at some possibilities but (with his service record available) I did not wan't to make unnecessary guesses. However, 84708 William Freeman landed on the same day as Samual Brooks (31-3-1915) and has a record that he served with "29th Division" from January 1915. That may mean the Amunition Column rather than one of the Brigades.

I note this on the Long, Long Trail page for 29th Division:

"29th Divisional Ammunition Column RFA  - Original 29th DAC remained in Egypt when the Division moved to France (in October 1916 {sic} it was transferred to the 10th (Irish) Division. While en-route to Salonika its ship was torpedoed and more than 100 men were lost). On arrival in France the former DAC of the 53rd (Welsh) Division joined 29th Division.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/29th-division/

The ship in the above case would be the Marquette, sunk on 23-10-1915.

https://ww100.govt.nz/no-ordinary-transport-the-sinking-of-the-marquette

There is actually a long report on the sinking in the last pages of the 29th DAC war diary:

29th DAC War Diary - Marquette

Steve.

There were a lot of ships lost in the Med to torpedoes, it would be difficult to pick one. Steve has beaten me to it with the 29th Division and the Marquette, which is a possible, but the book on Findmypast does not mention Salonika as such and he is in Egypt from 1917. It will be quite a task but tracing cousins that might have served in the war is the best bet to see if any lost their lives by drowning. The other is for your brother-in-law (or even Marjorie) to get the actual record from the MOD. Good luck with the research.

Thanks Steve I'll have a read through and see if it throws any light on it.

Thanks David for confirming I'm on the right track, I'm trying to build up his tree now to find any suitable candidates.

I've also told them about applying for the records, they are looking into it

Edited by kev1874

I can only access the index of the British Newspaper library but this is from the Belper News of 24-12-1915:

... Artillery, who if serving with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, was one of the survivors of the torpedoed transport “Marquette.” This information is contained in a letter received from Driver Brookes by his parents. Mr and Mrs K. Brookes, of Shirland ..."

Also from the Derbyshire Courier of 21-12-1915:

. has written home stating that he survivor of tho "Marquette'’ which was torpedoed. Driver Brookes says: You will be surprised to hear that I one the survivors of the torpedoed ship ’Marquette. which was sunk 23 Oct. Sorry tell you that cousin ..."

Someone maybe able to access the full articles.

Steve.

Also available via Find My Past by the way just in case you have that. I know some people on here have access but we can't ask for lookups.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Thanks for the pointers Steve. The cousin was 84695 Driver William Brooks.

Yes David that's him I'm just looking at his memorial etc now, its nice to put a name to the story after all these years, once again Steve thanks for the newspaper leads

one thing that does confuse me is the theatre 1st entered, I was thinking it would be the same a Samuels having served together but William 1st entered France about a week after Samuel landed in Egypt?

Edited by kev1874

The Medal Rolls have William as April 6, 1915 in Egypt, which is what I would expect for 29th DAC. Samuel's was a little too early, but that is not unusual.

EDIT: Just seen the Medal Card which is clearly incorrect as far as destination.

Edited by David Porter
Additional Information

29th DAC was split between three ships upon embarkation at Avonmouth - the S.S. Campanella (departed 18-3-1915), the S.S. Haramtris (21-3-1915) and the S.S.Arragon (21-3-1915). The war diary notes that the S.S. Arragon arrived at Malta on 31-3-1915 and then at Alexandria on 2-4-1915. They remained at Alexandria until the 21-4-1915 when they embared onto four different ships before sailing for Mudros on 23-4-1915.

It may be that Samuel Brooks was on the earlier ship - S.S. Campanella.

Steve.

thanks Steve, if he was with the 29th DAC would he have gone to Gallipoli then just says Egypt and Middle East on his RFA attestation? if so I'll have a look at the WD's for the time.

Edited by kev1874

The 29th Divisional Ammunition Column followed this path as far as I can see:

Jan 1915 - Formation (this was when the aforementioned 87408 William Freeman transferred to them)

Mar 1915 - Embarked at Avonmouth for Egypt through the Mediterranean via Malta

Apr 1915 - Arrived at Alexandria by 2-4-1915

Apr 1915 - By ship to Mudros on 23-4-1915 arriving on 26-4-1915 and then to Gallipoli reaching Cape Helles on 29-4-1915. A detachment of f 29th DAC landed at Cape Helles.

May 1915 - The main contingent of 29th DAC returned to Alexandria (leaving the detachment at Cape Helles) on 22-5-1915 arriving on 25-5-1915

Jun - Oct 1915 - Drafts of men sent to Cape Helles from the 29th DAC base at Alexandria

Oct 1915 - Embarked aboard S.S. Marquette between 17 and 19-10-1915, sailing on 19-10-1915 bound for Salonika

Oct 1915 - S.S. Marquette sunk with the 29th DAC aboard on 23-10-1915. Survivors taken on to Salonika aboard rescue ships and landed at Salonika on 27-10-1915.

Oct 1915 - Transferred to 10th (Irish) Division

Mar 1916 - 29th DAC formally renumbered 10th DAC on 4 March 1916

Aug 1917 - Sailed from Salonika to Egypt arriving at the front line at Rafa on the Palestine border in October 1917 just prior to the 3rd Battle of Gaza.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Just a few extra  snippets regarding  gunner W Brooks 84695

The claimant of a dependent pension is respect of the above is listed as Mr Mary Brooks (mother) of 63 Greenhill Wicksworth Derbyshire  (listed as drowned)

The register of soldiers effects lists his father William as the legatee of his effects

Ray