Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone designs the regimental and other badges used by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on grave headstones 1919

Matlock1418

I am hoping someone can help me please.

I am looking to view the following book which I note the IWM have in their collection - http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500007257 

• Headstone designs the regimental and other badges used by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on grave headstones 1919                                [CWGC author & publisher].

Unfortunately I am not in / near IWM London to view the hard copy and they don't have it digitised [nor seem inclined to digitise it]

Likewise unfortunately CWGC don't appear to have a copy - certainly not a digitised one for public consumption

[they say they have the designs alternatively available for their headstone production team - probably as a set of digital coordinates for a computerised engraving machine I suspect! - but surely their hand masons might also need such a book / reference material of a like kind]

Wondering if anyone knows of an easily accessible electronic/digitised copy anywhere of the book - or of an alternative authoritative source of pictorial images of all the WW1 regimental badges used by I/CWGC [including variants] ???

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
added WW1

Something like this? The masons trace it on to the stone before they carve it.

image.png.10e3b755ee0459c72039a19b55f26cb6.png

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Something like this?

It's described as a book but your example was the sort of thing I was expecting the CWGC must have and might be able to help make available.

Not exactly the book you were seeking , but it may be of interest and if you get chance ? visit Heilly Station cemetery on the Somme. There is a shelter in the cemetery that has 117 badges that are used by the CWGC set into the wall. Its well worth a visit (as is every CWGC cemetery) . "MO"

http://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/index.php?id=447

Heilly Station cem,etery.jpg

21 hours ago, montbrehain said:

Heilly Station cemetery on the Somme. There is a shelter in the cemetery that has 117 badges that are used by the CWGC set into the wall

Thank you - that is indeed an interesting feature and one I would eventually like to visit.

Currently on my wall, purchased from the late a David Cohen a good few years ago.

B528BACF-89C0-4619-8DAA-C020A6CBBE21.jpeg

On 12/06/2020 at 18:11, montbrehain said:

Not exactly the book you were seeking , but it may be of interest and if you get chance ? visit Heilly Station cemetery on the Somme. There is a shelter in the cemetery that has 117 badges that are used by the CWGC set into the wall. Its well worth a visit (as is every CWGC cemetery) . "MO"

http://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/index.php?id=447

Heilly Station cem,etery.jpg

What a revelation. Many thanks for posting.  It's now on my 'bucket list'.