Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was the "Mills-Borow"?

Moonraker

I came across this reference:  "The leader of the party, Captain Body, like his men, is carrying the men’s ordinary field-service equipment, which weighs over 50lb,, and it must be worn throughout the march. Several types of equipment are being tried, including the Mills-Borow, which is a modification of that used by the Japanese."

in this 1909 article

Googling didn't help.

2 hours ago, Moonraker said:

I came across this reference:  "The leader of the party, Captain Body, like his men, is carrying the men’s ordinary field-service equipment, which weighs over 50lb,, and it must be worn throughout the march. Several types of equipment are being tried, including the Mills-Borow, which is a modification of that used by the Japanese."

in this 1909 article

Googling didn't help.

Probably the Senninbari.  The secret Japanese equipment which, properly made, made the wearer invulnerable to bullets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senninbari

53 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Mills Bomb?

That was my initial thought but it wasn't "invented" until 1915. I wonder if there was a transcription error by Paul McCormick; as many of us will know, optical recognition of old newspaper can throw up errors, especially when the text in the original newspapers is faint or the paper itself damaged.  Haversack? Webbing? Presumably it was something that your average reader of the Evening Telegram would recognise.

The Dundee Courier newspaper from the BNA 

Published: Tuesday 23 August 1910

Dave

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 09.10.43.png

Mills-Burrowes, with an ‘e’, after Major Arnold R Burrowes, of the Royal Irish Fusilers who took out a patent in 1903 for his design of infantry equipment which was to evolve into the Pattern 1908 Infantry Web Equipment, the standard British issue throughout the Great War and beyond. Burrowes received a handsome financial reward for the use of his design despite being a serving officer when he filed the patent, which caused some consternation at the time.

Pete

Edited by Pete_C

5 hours ago, museumtom said:

Mills Bomb?

Leave me out of it!      I'm not THAT old.