Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras - Monchy possibilities

Marilyne

Good Morning,

Boss has given leave… now I hope I am allowed to go consult the archives in Arras end of this month… got some documents waiting for me there.

in addition, I will do a little tour to, first of course the Arras Memorial and then pass Monchy on the way back to little Belgium.

Cemeteries visited MIGHT, if needed, include the following (all on or around the way), so if you have any photo requests, feel free to ask:

• Faubourg d'Amiens British Cemetery
  • Monchy British Cemetery
  • Windmill British Cemetery
  • Tank Cemetery
  • Guémappe British Cemetery
  • Hibers Trench Cemetery
  • Tigris lane cemetery
  • Feuchy Chapel Cemetery
  • Bunyans Cemetery
  • Houdain Lane British cemetery
  • Gourock Trench British Cemetery
  • Feuchy British Cemetery
  • Orange Hill Cemetery
  • Happy Valley British Cemetery
  • Orange Trench British Cemetery

I might have a meeting at SHAPE one of these days too, which will warrant a quick visit to

• St Symphorien Cemetery

Also, as I said, the Western Front "The Girls Tour" is ON and there will be some occasions for pictures on there too… https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/282143-western-front-the-girls-tour-2020/

Marilyne

Arras 29JUN20.jpg

I've got a couple in Faubourg d'Amiens; Donald Sloan in the cemetery at III A 32 (near the Memorial at the far end) and James Roy among the Cameronian names in Bay 6. If you've got time and the rocket launcher in tow I'd be interested if you can make something artistic out of James' name; this being the most difficult to photograph memorial to the Missing that I know. But don't worry; I already have something adequate. James Roy's brother Robert is among the Cameron Highlanders on the same memorial, and their sister would marry a man whose brother in remembered there too.

I'm in contact with the families of all the men and they will be very happy that you just say hello; it might be a while since I can do it in person.

Pete.

P.S. I'll look again at your Girls on tour post to see if you are off to Etaples......

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

if you can make something artistic out of James' name;

I'll look again at your Girls on tour post to see if you are off to Etaples......

I'll do my very best!!!

The Girls Tour will take place from the 8th-10th July. I had to sacrify Le Tréport in the planning (been working on that chapter for the last two months…) but we'll get there.

M.

anything else??? 

two weeks to go ... 

M.

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 18:16, Marilyne said:

anything else??? 

two weeks to go … 

Hi - ref the archives in Arras - do they hold photographs and / or postcards etc ?

Very specific request - I have been looking for years for a frontal view of the South-Eastern entrance to Gordon Dump Cemetery at Ovillers-la-Boisselle BEFORE about 1951 'ish when it was dismantled and a new entrance made at the north eastern side on the cemetery. The CWGC archives do not have a photographic record of this - just the architect's drawings.

thanks - Tom

ooops… that is a very specific question…

I have no idea, but I will ask.

BUT… bear in mind that Arras holds the archives to NORD - PAS DE CALAIS.

Ovillers is in the département de la SOMME. their archives are in Amiens: http://archives.somme.fr/.

M.

• 2 weeks later...

"Something artistic" he said... I nearly fell off the dide BUT... you'll have artistic!!

This is cellphone stuff... just for fun... 20200629_142234.jpg.955e8606048376c1cd2e45e96cb19525.jpg

30 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

This is cellphone stuff... just for fun... 

A nice photo regardless of the hardware. The weather looks a bit overcast or is that artistic?

Pete.

No, the weather was ranging from "overcast" to "why do I even try??"... and it was cold and windy. Just arrived back home (well... barracks actually) ... it's going to be nightwork!!

57 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

No, the weather was ranging from "overcast" to "why do I even try??"... and it was cold and windy. Just arrived back home (well... barracks actually) ... it's going to be nightwork!!

Sounds much like out here on the coast. I hope you got what you wanted from the trip despite the weather. I'm envious of a visit to Faubourg d'Amiens whatever the conditions; hope bear enjoyed the trip out too.

Pete.

So here we go … the results of my little trip to Arras… Bear was not around this time, but he will come to the Girl's Tour!!

@Fattyowls: Pete, I'll send your pics per wetransfer as usual

You wanted artistic for Mr James Roy… well here you have it. As the name is on eye level when one is standing on the Bench, I dug out the macro filter on the 24-105mm lens and played a bit with that. D94A0178.JPG.f0b9c8548db8df4980850c97cbb2df6f.JPG

D94A0181.JPG.ca9469fae69844542f80bc030b0b8d21.JPG

then played a bit with various angles and lenses on the cemetery itself and walked to the Mur des Fusiliers. The whole domein on and around the citadel is quite nice, with paths for joggers and bikes, lot of woods.

D94A0222.JPG.9b138bc9be039ec2d8649ce155ba15af.JPG

D94A0254.JPG.b014f797379793efdf686f92530722d7.JPG

I need to reserach than one Belgian there on the wall.

M.

Some more artistic stuff and then I need to get into research mode for a few points…

Tilloy British Cemetery:

D94A0281.JPG.7106e16b66d65e00a215b0e9a0946fb5.JPG

Monchy-le-Preux:

D94A0321.JPG.5eac351345fe56519f24ff6fdc0532f6.JPG

Brown's Copse Cemetery (damn those electricity lines) :

D94A0440.JPG.d451d0e7eaf9fd4e1b457151429e5746.JPG

D94A0459.JPG.9eb8ed8f4edf716c2ccd4bf663e62851.JPG

no, you do NOT want to know the sight people had in the passing train when I took this picture…

and finally on the way back: St Symphorien

D94A0534.JPG.7d89f552789ffb5ce13b5b70b2336f6e.JPG

M.

Brilliant Marilyne. The photos arrived fine and I'm in the middle of a thank you email. Looks like the weather improved a bit too.

Pete.

P.S. I can post a photo of what the passengers on the passing train at Browns Copse saw if you want.......B)

13 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. I can post a photo of what the passengers on the passing train at Browns Copse saw if you want.......B)

I think most of the pals must have a good idea … LOL

M.

Just now, Marilyne said:

I think most of the pals must have a good idea … LOL

M.

I'm sure they can work it out from the angle, but the offer remains open for any that can't........:whistle:

One thing I will have to do the next time I am anywhere near Monchy-le-Preux is to take some photos looking back towards the Vimy Ridge. I was stitching together a panorama from photos taken at Notre Dame de Lorette for the photos thread and noticed a church spire just beyond the end of the Vimy ridge which I think may be Monchy. One more to add to the list of photos to take in the Arras area (which is getting very long).

Pete.

weather is just what you make of it, right??? 

There is no bad weather... bla bla bla... tries to get the best out of the sky and this is the result. 

Also: wide angle lens: 10mm F/16 ... 

D94A0211.JPG.258ec1bb2e9619e1cb2e42dc37eb30cb.JPG

M.

Edited by Marilyne

That is wide, you can almost see round the corners with that. That's the lens you said you needed as I remember it.

Pete.