Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Infantry (1st Reg.)

London Gazette Sup 26 July 1917 published information of Lt. Arthur Ernest Ward being Awarded the MC

I can’t find any regimental diary that would outline where South African Infantry  (1st Reg.) were in April 1917 – a newspaper article mentions Arras.  I can’t find any connection.

I would be grateful for any help,

• Admin

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/9th-scottish-division/

South African Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division who were indeed at Arras.

Michelle 

The History of the Great War, Military Operations France and Belgium 1917 part i, (free download) covers the action in detail and all quotations are from page 288 onwards.  The South African Brigade assembled in Fampoux, their first operation since the 9th April.  Their Divisional objective was the chemical works at Roeux. They suffered from the cold, wet, exposure and lack of hot food, especially the South African Brigade. Many of the men in this brigade had to be lifted to their feet and rubbed by their comrades that morning before they could stand.

The attack failed completely, with heavy loss. The South African Brigade, assembling in Fampoux, was shelled so violently that it could not start close behind the field-artillery barrage, which moved at the rate of 100 yards in two minutes. Once the barrage had run away from it, it stood no chance of success.

After that, sadly, it didn't get much better. He certainly would have deserved his MC.

image.png.599277d8e740771612e53ed45646b74b.png

image.png.1b27b86168397f5448a71f55d1e00e08.png

I am very new to all of this – there seems to be lots of links and websites and I’m not sure how they fit or work together.

I am very grateful and offer my thanks to alf mcm, WhiteStarline, Michelle Young, - I’m amazed by the prompt and very helpful responses.

(Anyone with interests in Northumberland I may be able to help)

• Admin

A good book about Arras is Cheerful Sacrifice by Jonathan Nichols. It's certainly worth getting hold of the War diary as linked by Alf above. 

Michelle